Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YawkYawkYawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
As the title states, I have been using Mavericks for well over a month now with no problems (Imac 2011 27"). However, I turn on my computer today and all of my icons on my desktop have disappeared. I can create new files and have them show up, however I cannot find a way to have the old ones visible. I have updated Mavericks, I have restarted the computer, re-logged in several times. No luck.

My desktop appears to be normal through finder, yet nothing is showing up on my actual desktop.

Any help?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Open your Home folder.
One of the folders will be your Desktop folder, which will hold anything that you should see on your Desktop, including folders and app and other files. There will be some icons that may show on your desktop, which will NOT appear in your Desktop folder, such as icons for external drives, DVDs, and connected servers.

Check in your Finder Preferences, General tab. Do you have items checked that you need to show on your desktop (again, those would be storage devices, or servers, etc. ?)

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Also try this: on your desktop screen hold/press CMD + Option + 1. this should alphabetize/arrange your icons. See if they show up when you do that

Bojoer

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
As the title states, I have been using Mavericks for well over a month now with no problems (Imac 2011 27"). However, I turn on my computer today and all of my icons on my desktop have disappeared. I can create new files and have them show up, however I cannot find a way to have the old ones visible. I have updated Mavericks, I have restarted the computer, re-logged in several times. No luck.

My desktop appears to be normal through finder, yet nothing is showing up on my actual desktop.

Any help?
Hi,

Really late but still this could help people in the future.
Some people tend to run "dotfiles" to configure and set up their new Mac. Wel that is great because it is easy but when using the configuration from others like Paul Irish or Mathias Bynens, which are just super btw, a file called .osx runs and configures al lot of settings like desktop icons.

To show the icons:
defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool true
To hide the icons:
defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false

Regards!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.