PDA

View Full Version : A bit confused - Windows or Mac

Sathos
Jan 11, 2006, 08:53 PM
Hello. I have a 5G iPod, and it is formatted for Windows. It works fine on my Mac (besides the fact that the "Do Not Disconnect" icon is always on the screen when it's plugged in, don't know if this is normal but I just do what I need to do on the computer with it, and eject it, works fine), except that I can't update it and it takes quite a while for the Mac to recognize it. So, I have a few questions. First of all, how would I go about reformatting it to be a Mac iPod, and most importantly would this damage it in any way? Second, would this be recommended? My family does have a PC, but soon I'll be moving out and won't have access to it. My parents want me to use it as an external hard drive when I go to university to transfer my projects from computer to computer, but I realize this wouldn't work if I had to plug it into a Windows computer, and I don't much care for the idea of plugging it into a Windows comp anyways, so that's not a problem. I just don't want to harm my iPod in any way. Do I have to update it? I'd assume yes, being up to date might be a good way to take care of it. So, the big question is how to turn it into a Mac iPod, and if it is a good idea to do so.

Sorry to write so much, I'm quite confused right now :o

mkrishnan
Jan 11, 2006, 09:02 PM
It does not damage or harm the iPod. And you can reformat it back again the other way. If you keep doing this over and over again, yes, it will eventually cause wear and tear. But doing it a couple of times is no big deal.

It will not have any adverse impact except that the iPod will not be usable on Windows computers.

You do it by downloading the iPod Software Updater from Apple (or look and see if there's one stuffed away in your Applications or Utilities folder already). The latest one is available from the support section of their site. You run it, plug the iPod in, and there will be an option for reformatting / restoring it.

BornAgainMac
Jan 11, 2006, 09:10 PM
Run the latest iPod Updater software on your Mac from Applications:Utilities:iPod Software Updater

Reformatting from PC to Mac and Mac to PC won't harm the iPod. The Mac can read PC formatted iPods fine but a PC can't read a Mac drive without third-party software. I found that a Mac will perform about 50% slower when writing to a PC formatted drive. I have not tested read speed but it seems slower also. Also when a Mac writes to a PC formatted drive, it creates some extra hidden files that I end up just removing. It is a pain.

When sharing a iPod to be used as a hard drive in addition to music, I suggest you keep it PC formatted. Note: I noticed 5G iPods tend to take a long time to disconnect from a Mac compared to older iPods. It will eventually disconnected after a few seconds.

Sathos
Jan 11, 2006, 09:14 PM
When sharing a iPod to be used as a hard drive in addition to music, I suggest you keep it PC formatted.

Thanks for both of your advice. I think I may format it for Mac. I have no plans to use it as a hard drive; I can easily go to Staples or some such store and pick up a USB drive for that purpose. If I had no other choice I could keep seeking out a Windows computer to update it, but I'd really rather stay away from Windows as much as possible :)

Chundles
Jan 11, 2006, 09:16 PM
Make sure you have a back up of the music on your iPod cause you lose the lot when you reformat.

It's fine when you update the firmware but if you do a full restore you'll end up with an empty iPod after which it will be reformatted to Mac.

Sathos
Jan 11, 2006, 09:21 PM
Make sure you have a back up of the music on your iPod cause you lose the lot when you reformat.

It's fine when you update the firmware but if you do a full restore you'll end up with an empty iPod after which it will be reformatted to Mac.

Yeah, I assumed as much. My whole library is still safely in iTunes. Thank you for the warning!

Chundles
Jan 11, 2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I assumed as much. My whole library is still safely in iTunes. Thank you for the warning!

Good-o. Just making sure.