Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Apple's website is difficult to print pages from, the new laptops homepage.....you try to print it the formatting is messed up, and all that black ink...really bad! They need a format for printer button.:eek:

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
it could be your printer idk.. this is what the preview print shows that page to look like when printed for me. looks fine to me. i haven't actually printed.

Attachments

• esrdfjmnrsy34yhnetry3ehrd.jpg
    esrdfjmnrsy34yhnetry3ehrd.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 118

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
What browser are you using? Here is what mine looks like, for example the text/picture at the bottom and the menu at the top, I guess its just something that bugs me. It may not bug everyone though.

The black one is with default settings and the one with white is with background turned off in firefox

Attachments

• macbook.jpg
    macbook.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 106
  • macbook2.jpg
    macbook2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 107

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
trainguy77 said:
They need a format for printer button.:eek:

Are you a web designer? Because I can tell you something crazy about web, WE DESIGN FOR SCREEN not for printing. Yes it would be nice if every article of text could be printed out but the fact of the matter is that's not what the net is for.

You don't need to print it out, it'll be there later.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I printed out some stuff for a friend last night about the new iMac, it printed fine. This was the page in the Store section though, so I'm not sure about the Hardware section, if that's where you were trying to print from.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
I was using Safari 2.0.3 and actually many web designers plan for printing by creating a print.css sheet when used by the print command. in the case of apple... they use this

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/main/css/globalprint.css" media="print">

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
dornoforpyros said:
Are you a web designer? Because I can tell you something crazy about web, WE DESIGN FOR SCREEN not for printing. Yes it would be nice if every article of text could be printed out but the fact of the matter is that's not what the net is for.

You don't need to print it out, it'll be there later.

Having seen you around the forums, I'm really surprised that you'd say something like this. I'd say that there are a good percentage of people that look at what Apple has online and print it out for reference or to learn more, and don't want to read it on screen. I know that I did all the time before I bought my PowerMac, and even sometimes I print from their website if I'm doing research. It might not be essential, but styling for print is an important part of web design. We don't just design for screen; we design for screen, print, projection, and a slew of other ways of viewing information, along for the disabled (blind, poor eye sight, unable to use a mouse, etc.). The net is for information.

I'm sorry for the rant, but that kind of attitude toward the web isn't very good for a web developer (perhaps therein lies the problem: you're really only concerned with design).
-Chasen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.