Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will be celebrating Earth Day 2014 next Tuesday, April 22 throughout its various retail locations and at its main campus, reports 9to5Mac.

apple_100_renewable.jpg
The company will color its logos in green for the occasion, as employees will wear special shirts with an event planned at Apple's headquarters at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, California. Apple last celebrated Earth Day in 2006 by holding a free computer takeback program in honor of the event.

Apple has remained active in its environment efforts throughout the past few years, which include powering its data centers with 100% renewable energy, expanding its recycling program, and reporting on its carbon footprint. Last May, Apple also hired former Environmental Protection Agency chief Lisa Jackson to lead the company's environmental responsibility efforts.

Environmental activist group Greenpeace also featured Apple as a "green energy innovator" in its latest report earlier this month, praising the company for its commitment to renewable energy after taking issues with previous efforts.

Article Link: Apple to Honor Earth Day 2014 at Retail Stores, Main Campus

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Please don't lose sight of the fact that it's not just about green energy production. There is a cost to getting there in the first place.

Look at all the admittedly beautiful but incredibly wasteful packaging on Apple products.
We're talking data centres, and although you do need data security you can pretty much bet your life that they have layer upon layer of redundant power in those buildings that could be used elsewhere.
In addition Apple pay other hosters to manage part of their data, are they green too?

But it's a good start.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Please don't lose sight of the fact that it's not just about green energy production. There is a cost to getting there in the first place.

Look at all the admittedly beautiful but incredibly wasteful packaging on Apple products.
We're talking data centres, and although you do need data security you can pretty much bet your life that they have layer upon layer of redundant power in those buildings that could be used elsewhere.
In addition Apple pay other hosters to manage part of their data, are they green too?

But it's a good start.

You do know that Apple is working to use 100% renewable energy in their data centers, right? I don't remember if they are there yet, or if there are still building the energy farms, but they are ahead of the 'pack'. Most datacenters are power hungry beasts, but both Apple and Google are looking to change that.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Such as?
Apple simplified their packaging pretty early while competitors had huge boxes.

This was wasteful (right):

I think you'll find that the glossy hard cardboard on that is pretty expensive and difficult to produce. I've bought many goods with ugly brown packaging.....but nothing brand new from Apple.
They do have ugly brown packaging as a lot of stuff from the refurb store comes in it. So they can do it if they choose.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I can't believe Apple. Honouring Earth Day is blatant racism and unfairly diminishes the importance of those from Mars, Jupiter, and the other neighbouring colonies.

This would never have happened if Steve was here. The Samsung S6 will be my next phone.

justinthesommer

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2014
United States
I definitely support them for doing this... if I had billions of dollars lying around I'd want to put it towards something to better humanity. Right On Apple! Staying hungry, staying foolish, going green!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It's admirable of Apple to put so much effort into renewable energy. They don't have to do it, regardless of what Greenpeace thinks. They're doing it because they want to do it, and they are positioned to set an example for other businesses. I'm hoping that this finally jump-starts the clean energy industry.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
What's Apple doing to assure that the batteries from their products are disposed of correctly?

I guess it's not their problem how the landfill gets full of their toxic garbage as long as they are green up to the POS.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Seriously?

Picking on Apple for wasteful packaging defeats the whole argument. Apple is not even in the top 90% of the offenders. When places like Greenpeace protest Apple, I lose all respect for Greenpeace's as an organization. Go after the real offenders that don't give a crap, not the companies that are trying.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Glad to see them taking the lead on this. We take too much of our environment for granted.

Inhale the hype. Apple isn't taking a lead here except immaculate PR. All Fortune 100 companies have environmental/sustainability policies and especially tout their Eco stewardship.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I think you'll find that the glossy hard cardboard on that is pretty expensive and difficult to produce. I've bought many goods with ugly brown packaging.....but nothing brand new from Apple.
They do have ugly brown packaging as a lot of stuff from the refurb store comes in it. So they can do it if they choose.

But IF they are making the "difficult to produce" packaging in a factory that is green, the more difficult to produce isn't necessarily an issue, right?

I'd also think that the glossy hard cardboard is harder than flimsy other cardboard and might(?) be one of the reasons they can make it smaller (and not need a ton of styrofoam).

I'm not saying/implying every point in the point in the production chain is green. But serious, who's is?

Making it smaller means they can ship three to four more (guesstimating on the packaging photo) in the same volume saving on shipping space (ship, truck, plane, even FedEx to my house). This also means less storage of space of assembled packages when in a store and even less storage space of unassembled boxes. That's all got to be good for the environment, right?

It's great for me where I store my empty boxes, I've got way more room in my home now. An iPod in a box takes up less space than my old Sony "Walkman" CD player (not in a box).

Gary

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
It's about time green-washing marketing comes to an end, not because Apple is at fault here but all "green" PR/marketing for the past 10-15 years is a huge joke.

Caveat: changing habits to produce and use energy smartly is super important, but "honoring Earth Day" the PR way has abso****inglutely nothing to do with a cleaner environment for all.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
It's about time green-washing marketing comes to an end, not because Apple is at fault here but all "green" PR/marketing for the past 10-15 years is a huge joke.

Caveat: changing habits to produce and use energy smartly is super important, but "honoring Earth Day" the PR way has abso****inglutely nothing to do with a cleaner environment for all.

Of course it does. It increases awareness and encourage people to talk about it.

And if past green marketing effort sucks, it means there are opportunities for improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.