PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive-based iPod on a motorbike

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 12:20 AM
A friend of mine wants an iPod, but he wants to listen to it while on his motorbike and he's concerned that the vibrations may not be good for the hard drive. I'm inclined to agree with him, but I thought I should ask around and see whether anyone has any experience with this.

A solid-state iPod is always an option of course, but how do the hard drive ones hold up? Vibrations aren't good for the drive, but on the other hand the drive is accessed relatively infrequently. Comments?

mad jew
Jan 12, 2006, 12:24 AM
My 4G didn't handle nightly jogs so I really doubt an iPod will last more than six months on a motorbike, especially with the added stress of camber changes.

I reckon a Flash iPod is the way to go. :)

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 12:26 AM
That's what I was afraid of. It's a shame that Nanos are still pricey - Minis are available second-hand for cheap now so they look more attractive :)

mad jew
Jan 12, 2006, 12:29 AM
Yeah, how about an old Shuffle then? :)

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 12:29 AM
He'd like it to hold more than 2 songs :p

Edit: Found a 2 GB Nano for $47 but it still has a week of auction time left, will probably be expensive by the time it closes :(

mad jew
Jan 12, 2006, 12:30 AM
That's a fair point. :D

Counterfit
Jan 12, 2006, 01:44 AM
I would hope that the vibrations would be much less if he carried the iPod on his body.

Labi
Jan 12, 2006, 02:50 AM
That's what I was afraid of. It's a shame that Nanos are still pricey - Minis are available second-hand for cheap now so they look more attractive :)
Minis are disc based, not flash.

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 02:54 AM
I know, that's why it's a shame that Nanos are expensive.

frankblundt
Jan 12, 2006, 01:48 PM
my shuffle's only the 512 but it takes about 80 songs or 5-6 hours music (and a lot more for podcasts) - unless your chum has one hell of a commute that really ought to be enough i'd have thought

Airforce
Jan 12, 2006, 01:58 PM
A solid-state iPod is always an option of course, but how do the hard drive ones hold up? Vibrations aren't good for the drive, but on the other hand the drive is accessed relatively infrequently. Comments?

My creative zen micro doesn't skip or cause problems when I'm riding.

iSaint
Jan 12, 2006, 04:01 PM
I would think just having the iPod in your shirt or jacket pocket wouldn't subject it to much stress. I'm not a biker, but it's just a thought.

Airforce
Jan 12, 2006, 04:05 PM
I would think just having the iPod in your shirt or jacket pocket wouldn't subject it to much stress. I'm not a biker, but it's just a thought.

Those are fine places to keep it if you want to lose it going down the highway :p

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 04:41 PM

The problem is that we need someone who's actually tried it, it's a bit risky to buy something if it only *might* work :( (although admittedly it's a bit "off" to say "I don't want to break mine, someone else try it please!" :p)

Those are fine places to keep it if you want to lose it going down the highway :p

That too :)

DaftUnion
Jan 12, 2006, 06:50 PM
My creative zen micro doesn't skip or cause problems when I'm riding.

He said he was interested in an iPod, not another product.

By the way though, the technologies the same...they both use hard drives, and that amount of vibration on either product wouldn't be good.

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 07:10 PM
that amount of vibration on either product wouldn't be good.

That's what I was thinking :(
Oh well, I'll try to convince him to get a Nano.

748s
Jan 12, 2006, 07:26 PM
the biggest problem for me is getting a full face helmet on without knocking the headphones out of my ears.
i've got a 3g 40gb iPod i use when riding. i've had it over 2 years. i use it on longer trips (2 or more hours).
i keep it in an inside pocket of a jacket.
it still works well.
i also use it while walking and commuting on trains.
i would think walking with an iPod is potentially more damaging than sitting on a motorcycle or a train.
unless he is a crusty demon, doing hours of dirt riding, big jumps and hard landings, it will be ok to use a hard drive based mp3 player.

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that, I'll send that reply to him :)

Airforce
Jan 12, 2006, 11:54 PM
He said he was interested in an iPod, not another product.

By the way though, the technologies the same...they both use hard drives, and that amount of vibration on either product wouldn't be good.

Hence why I said my Zen didn't have any problems...relating to the iPod...Its fine for it...no worries.

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 11:57 PM
One of us understood you :)

Edit: Yikes! 7000 posts! I'm turning into a spammer! :eek:

Nermal
Jan 13, 2006, 07:57 PM
the biggest problem for me is getting a full face helmet on without knocking the headphones out of my ears.

I got him to try putting his helmet on while using the earphones and he didn't have any trouble whatsoever. Neither did I for that matter, and that's the first time I've ever put a helmet on. Made me sound like Darth Vader :cool: :p