PDA

View Full Version : Now that we know the specs for the Macbook Pro, what do you expect from the iBook?

ricgnzlzcr
Jan 12, 2006, 02:40 AM
What do you think the specs will be for the new iBook (or Macbook). Will there be 13 inch widescreens, 12 inch screens, 14? What will the processor be like? Will it have iSight and Front Row?

Chundles
Jan 12, 2006, 02:59 AM
1. Slower than MacBook Pro.
2. Cheaper than MacBook Pro.
3. Widescreen.
4. Thinner than current iBook.
5. Front Row.
6. iSight.

As for chips, either Intel Core Solo or Core Duo with the PowerBooks heading over to 64bit Merom based chips.

RAM - probably DDR2 something, still 512MB
HDD - probably 60GB
Graphics? I don't know, don't really follow the GFX industry too closely, I'd say it will be PCIe though. Mini-DVI out with extended desktop support like the new iMacs (FINALLY!!)
SuperDrive
No modem ( :( ) not joking either, a modem is still pretty handy when you're on the road and dongles suck.
MagSafe power adapter.
More refined form factor, less joins and better materials (yeah...right...)
Brighter screens, much brighter screens.

shadowmoses
Jan 12, 2006, 03:02 AM
1. Slower.
2. Cheaper.
3. Widescreen.
4. Thinner.
5. Front Row.

I don't see the iBooks haing built in iSight.....They will probably have a single core processor simular to a centrino or pentium M and they will probably only come in 12" and 13.3", they may be thinner but not by much and the design will essentially remain unchanged....

Just my $0.02

Shadow

briangig
Jan 12, 2006, 03:03 AM
tablet

ug.mac
Jan 12, 2006, 03:03 AM
What do you think the specs will be for the new iBook (or Macbook). Will there be 13 inch widescreens, 12 inch screens, 14? What will the processor be like? Will it have iSight and Front Row?

I guess new iBooks will use 1.66Ghz Core Solo processor in low-end model, 1.5Ghz Core Duo for high-end model. :D

ricgnzlzcr
Jan 12, 2006, 04:10 AM
I don't think they will be tablet and I dont fancy them having an iSight built in. I do think they will have widescreen and be thinner. Wish they had a smaller ibook with a widescreen than a 13 incher. That would be an instant buy for me!

apple2991
Jan 12, 2006, 05:31 AM
I doubt the built-in iSight. Definitely much better screen resolution, widescreen, white and black color option, GB ethernet questionable, 64mb graphics card. Typical spec bump, for the most part.

It entirely depends upon whether or not Apple is going to continue releasing pro-oriented laptops (presumably continuing the PowerBook line), or migrate entirely to MacBooks and iBooks. The iBook processors maintained a pretty steady course of being about 60-80% as powerful as the 15-inch PowerBook. So presuming that the 15" MacBook is to serve the same role as the 15" PowerBook, we're looking at probably single-core of the MacBook chips.

Don't completely rule out a premature discontinuation of the PowerBook line and simply bumping up the iBooks to much faster G4s for a while.

wordmunger
Jan 12, 2006, 05:45 AM
I think they will have the iSight. Just a guess, but given the iSight in the iMacs, this seems to be part of Apple's strategy. Maybe they'll be single core, or maybe, as others have mentioned, the Pro books will move to the Meron and they'll get the dual cores.

What I'm not thrilled about is the probable 700 pixel screen height. I don't like the idea of losing pixels in the vertical dimension.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 12, 2006, 06:09 AM
I'm guessing, like most here, that MacBooks are going to come in a sleek 13,3" WS, 1.5 and/or up to 1.8GHz Intel Core Solo, 512 MB installed with one free RAM slot, some sort of 64MB graphics card, combo drive with optional Superdrive, AirPort and Bluetooth and about the same ports as today. No iSight (I hope, at least, no need for it, and will not pay for it... ;)).

tabletH*ll no! :mad: I want my keyboard... ;)

What would be cooler is a very thin and light ~10" WS MacBook with full keyboard, 1.8" HD, without optical drive but otherwise specs more or less as above. Now that would be an awsome little b*gger... :D

I use my external optical drives for both importing and burning, so I VERY rarely use my 12" iBooks internal optical drive. And if you need to move something (and aren't connected to a network, wired or wireless) get a pendrive... :)

TBi
Jan 12, 2006, 06:10 AM
I'd say

Same form factor for 12" but thinner/lighter with black/white options. Plus a 13.3" Widescreen

Core Solo (1.6GHz?)
Radeon X1300 w/64MB (upgrade to 128 on bigger model)
512MB Ram DDR2 (same as PB)
40GB 4200 RPM with option for 5400 bigger model

Maybe an iSight because this is something most normal users would like.

We might see DVI-Out but they will probably keep it mirrored rather than dual screen. If they make it dual screen then it will be VGA.

Chundles
Jan 12, 2006, 06:24 AM
1280x768 13.3" widescreen.

With the Intel Core Solo and the x1300 like the guy a bit further up mentioned it would be able to handle 720p HD videos very nicely.

I also think Apple are going to move over to DVI out for the MacBook, it is currently the only product in the line up without it. Full support for extended desktop mode, no support for closed lid mode however and the best it could power is the 23" HD Cinema Display. Who knows, maybe the Core Solo and the x1300 could do 1080 HD video, I don't know...