Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is offering some developers a chance to buy unclaimed WWDC tickets, according to a report from 9to5Mac and several Twitter users. Apple has emailed certain developers to offer them WWDC tickets, giving them 24 hours to pay the $1,599 ticket fee.

This year, because of nearly immediate ticket sellouts in past years, Apple decided to offer WWDC tickets to registered, paid iOS and Mac developers through a lottery system. Developers who won the ticket lottery had until April 14 to complete their purchases.

wwdc-2014-logo.jpg
Now Apple is reportedly reaching out to developers who didn't win the lottery and offering them a chance to buy unclaimed tickets. Some developers are starting to get phone calls from the company informing them that they have been randomly selected to buy one of the tickets that winners failed to claim before the 14th.
It is unknown how many WWDC tickets went unclaimed by lottery winners, nor how the company is choosing developers to receive a second chance at tickets.

The annual Worldwide Developers Conference will be held from June 2-6 at the Moscone West convention center in San Francisco

Article Link: Apple Offering Some Developers Second Chance to Buy Unclaimed WWDC Tickets

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Happy to have made another developer happy with my unclaimed ticked. Enjoy! :)

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
$1599?
Will they provide retina macbooks for free as a learning tool?

You may think that that's too expensive, but at that price, they sell out in MINUTES.

Yeah, why enter a VERY difficult lottery to win a bloody ticket, then, when you win, NOT BUY ONE?!?
Especially for this year's show which could see the iBand announced!
Insanely stupid ....

Last edited:

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
You may think that that's too expensive, but at that price, they sell out in MINUTES.

Yeah, why enter a VERY difficult lottery to win a bloody ticket, then, when you win, NOT BUY ONE?!?
Insanely stupid ....
Your welcome. Was there last year. Didn't intend not to go this year but couldn't get the traveling arranged after I got informed of the opportunity to buy a ticket. Apple announcing anything seriously new at WWDC is highly unlike Apple.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i think the sneak peak for the Mac Pro last year, the macbook pro retina, and i think this year 12" Macbook Air

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
They need to have a bigger room for this in their new campus.

It's not an on campus event. And the issue of having more people has been discussed ad nauseum over the years. Part of the appeal of being there are the labs with the actual engineers. If they allowed more people it would make chaos with that program. If they did it for longer or had several like comic con does the engineers would never get any work done cause they would be on the road too much

----------

iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4. Your right, nothing seriously new at WWDC....

Which they haven't done in three years. Those three years are the more likely example of what will happen this year than the time before that.

iOS, Mac OS, Apple TV OS, yes. All very very likely

Hardware, only if it's something really huge that comes with a risk of getting exposed' say by something in one of the betas. Or some weird one off thing like new displays to go with last year's Mac pros that they want to piggy back on the press

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
They need to have a bigger room for this in their new campus.

A big remaining bottleneck would still be: the number of Apple's internal developers who exist to interact with 3rd-party developers, and how much time those internal developers can afford to spend not doing their Apple job.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

Insanely stupid ....

I've been told to get a ticket for next year, you will have to write a 500 word essay on why you should be giving a ticket, and what it means to be an Apple developer.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Your welcome. Was there last year. Didn't intend not to go this year but couldn't get the traveling arranged after I got informed of the opportunity to buy a ticket. Apple announcing anything seriously new at WWDC is highly unlike Apple.

Don't know if you are a developer, but for many attendees the keynote, while getting a lot of attention, is secondary to the wealth of information gleaned from the design-focused sessions and workshops that take place all week.

That for many, is the real value received for that $1599.

Kerber0s34

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
Kelowna, BC
I've been to 2 MS Dev conferences in the last year, both were ~$2000 each, plus travel expenses (Vegas and New Orleans). Totally worth it if you consider that if you registered for a training course, it would as much if not more for the same amount of time / material.

So $1599 for WWDC is a pretty good deal. And not an issue for companies willing to invest in their devs.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
If they're giving others a chance to purchase unclaimed tickets, that means (obviously) that people who won decided not to go. Isn't that unusual for a WWDC, where normally developers are scrambling to get tickets?

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
If they're giving others a chance to purchase unclaimed tickets, that means (obviously) that people who won decided not to go. Isn't that unusual for a WWDC, where normally developers are scrambling to get tickets?

No. Some people will have won and found they couldn't get make travel arrangements, or registered while they sought approval from their company to go, only not to get it. Some companies might have had 2 or 3 people chosen and decided to send only 1. I'm sure there were some people who entered the lottery 'just to see if I win' and never intended on actually going, but I'd expect those to have been in the minority.

There was always going to be a second round of invites to buy tickets, everyone knew that.

Regrettably I didn't win either round. I hope they do a better job with the videos this year. The quality was dodgy last year, with bits of the screen cut off in many of them and they never ever showed up on iTunesU as they have in previous years, making them hard to download offline and stick on an iPad for watching when you had time.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

In my case, I registered for a ticket without knowing for sure if I would be able to get there in the event that I "won" the lottery. Fortunately my work is fronting my ticket cost and airfare so I can go. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have been able to go despite winning. And to top it off, the decision to have me go came mere minutes before the deadline to buy tickets had passed. Not everyone has $1,600 for a ticket, $400 for a hotel (conservatively) for the week, and $300+ for a flight just sitting around.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
$1599 is chicken scratch to a real developer.

You have that right. I know a few that make that in less than a day when in the heat of a product development or release. Then there are charting app sales.

IMO, Apple should have a select group of tickets go on auction with the excess above the opening bid going to a charity. This way, the superstar developers forgoes that new hot car for a year and make some publicity for themselves.

Add that with the student scholarships and lottery, you have three ways to get in: talent, karma or merit. All keep the riff-raft out.

----------

In my case, I registered for a ticket without knowing for sure if I would be able to get there in the event that I "won" the lottery. Fortunately my work is fronting my ticket cost and airfare so I can go. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have been able to go despite winning. And to top it off, the decision to have me go came mere minutes before the deadline to buy tickets had passed. Not everyone has $1,600 for a ticket, $400 for a hotel (conservatively) for the week, and $300+ for a flight just sitting around.

And not everyone is just sitting around waiting for the world to take care of them. Players get off their ass and make things happen.

I know many who have left their "supportive" family and unlearned a public education of group think to get where they are despite indoctrinated fear of being talented and different above the norm.

I suggest you look around your life and see where the money is going and who or what is holding you back. The less around you acting like a victim and the better off you are.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
What he's trying to say is nothing has been announced at WWDC since 2010 so we probably won't see anything new except os x and ios 8

rMBP was announced at the 2012 WWDC. You guys are insane if you think nothing noteworthy will be announced at their biggest event of the year.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
rMBP was announced at the 2012 WWDC. You guys are insane if you think nothing noteworthy will be announced at their biggest event of the year.

Yeah that's right but I meant iOS related, couldn't care less about macs

And yeah, to me, the next iphone keynote is the biggest event of the year.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4. Your right, nothing seriously new at WWDC....

and Macbook Air. And all their software lol, plus devs get one week with Apple engineers that normally are locked behind shut windows and doors. It's their only week to talk with humans! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.