Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hassiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
Hi,

I am setting up Mavericks from scratch. I want to set up an Admin account that will only be used to administer the new machine. I want to set up 2 user privilege accounts that myself and my wife will use to do our work.

Question: Do I need to be logged in to my Admin account to install Photoshop, Lightroom 5 and MS Office or should this be done from my user accounts? :confused:

If we both want access to use MS Office do I need to install it in each user account? How should this be done?

Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
You do not need to be logged into an administrative account to perform the duties of an administrator. If the OS needs administrative privileges, then it will ask you for administrative credentials. After the password for an administrative account is entered in the presented dialog box, the task will be completed without having to logout of the standard account. Because the user had not logged into an administrative account, there is no need to logout of the administrative account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.