Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
When trying to send a message on my iMac I get this drop down box which says:

Tel. # xxx is not registered with iMessage

How do I register a number with iMessage? A couple of messages work and can be sent, but not all of them. What to do?
thanks for a reply....

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Problem with iMessage on iMac

Not familiar with the app on the Mac but are you trying to send messages to non-iMessage numbers?

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
Hi Ann, thanks for the reply. Yep I guess that is what I am trying to do. I see it works with other Apple and Mac users on my iMac. I hadn't thought about that it might not work with others. I just assumed I guess that because I could text, email, to anyone on my iPhone 5s that it would work the same. I assumed wrong I guess. Thanks for the reply.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
In order for iMessage to work, both the sender and recipient must be using iOS devices and have iMessage enabled on them. So if the person you're trying to send the message to either isn't registered with iMessage or is using a non-iOS phone, you will not be able to send them messages from the iMessages client on the Mac. There is nothing you can do on your end, as the person with the number in question would have to be using an iOS device and registering the number with iMessage before you could send messages through your computer.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
In order for iMessage to work, both the sender and recipient must be using iOS devices and have iMessage enabled on them.

This is not the case.

Sender and recipient must be using either an iOS device or a Mac with Messages installed (Mountain Lion, Mavericks).

A.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
This is not the case.

Sender and recipient must be using either an iOS device or a Mac with Messages installed (Mountain Lion, Mavericks).

A.

It is the case when you're trying to send to a phone number. Unless that number is a) on an iPhone and b) registered with iMessage, you can't use the Mac client to send them anything. You can do it from an iPhone because it will default to SMS if either the data connection or the iMessage service isn't working. The Mac doesn't have that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.