PDA

View Full Version : Old 15" powerbook VS. MacBook Pro




clykins90
Jan 12, 2006, 08:46 AM
Like the title says, if you needed one soon, which one would you get?

$1999 for a Rev. A MBP
$1399 for a refurbished Rev. D 15" powerbook



revisionA
Jan 12, 2006, 08:58 AM
You aint getting the macbook any sooner than mid feb.
$

RGunner
Jan 12, 2006, 09:03 AM
Mbp.

ericssonboi
Jan 12, 2006, 09:04 AM
To be on the safe side. Rev. D Powerbook.
To be on the risky side. Rev. A MBP

It boils down to what your going to be using it for.
If your using Pro Apps (Photoshop, FCP, etc), i'd use the Powerbook.
Basic tasks such as mail, surf, chat, MBP due to the lack of software support as of right now.

clykins90
Jan 12, 2006, 09:05 AM
Mbp.


Why? I know its faster, but is it fast enough to warrant an extra $600? I could buy a mac mini for that :D.

If the older powerbook was fast enough for most people before the MBP came out, shouldn't it be fine or is it worth payin the extra 600 for the long-term usefulness?

xyian
Jan 12, 2006, 09:37 AM
It's really dependent upon what you need. If you don't need it now then I wouldn't bother. If you need something now, you can always get something later. One of the best things about a Mac is that you have a relatively high resale value and can get some of it back later.

TheMasin9
Jan 12, 2006, 09:38 AM
Why? I know its faster, but is it fast enough to warrant an extra $600? I could buy a mac mini for that :D.

If the older powerbook was fast enough for most people before the MBP came out, shouldn't it be fine or is it worth payin the extra 600 for the long-term usefulness?
it will be faster, MUCH faster, and more powerful. Id say buy a mbp and future proof for years.

mrgreen4242
Jan 12, 2006, 10:08 AM
Neither! I'd get a Refurb 1.5ghz 12" PB now, take the $800 I saved and put it into a money market or some other interest bearing account. In a year from now I'd withdraw the $830 or whatever, sell the PB for ~$750 and buy the new RevB 12" MacBook pro 2ghz machine for about $1500+RAM upgrades.

BAM!

BornAgainMac
Jan 12, 2006, 10:13 AM
it will be faster, MUCH faster, and more powerful. Id say buy a mbp and future proof for years.

Yes. I agree between the old PB and the new mbp. But I would wait.
Blu-Ray drives and 802.11n are probably within 12 months for a future rev of the Mac Book Pro. You will want those items without having to deal with adding external stuff. Next year, expect a OS update and another iLife update. Using the latest 64bit Intel cpus, using less watts, faster, more disk space, wait.... Maybe get a cheap and used G4 since they are probably cheaper now.

MacRumorUser
Jan 12, 2006, 10:22 AM
Pro software going on what Steve was saying wont take that long before it conforms with universal binary.

Apple's own apps out in March, less than a month after the MBP and only $49 upgrade.. That's good.

Quark have a beta available and we can assume a full release shortly.

Adobe will no doubt release a quick patch and save universal for CS3 which I imagine will be out in summer.

Delaying buying an intel based machine is sound enough, just till all your apps are sorted. Choosing to buy a PowerPC machine over an intel based machine is foolish for future use.

In a years time when all the products are intel based, the resale value of the powerPC will fall dramatically.

People complain about rev A machines, but hey I've had issues with Apple hardware no matter what revision it was. Look at the Rev E powerbook with it's troublesome horizontal scanline destaturated ruined screen and iffy Battery reports.

If my Rev A: MacBookPro last's longer than two months, then that's more than my Rev E: Powerbook has.....


And you can't compare prices of a Refurb against New hardware. That's unfair. Compare new to new and the hardware is good value in comparison.

mrgreen4242
Jan 12, 2006, 10:34 AM
Delaying buying an intel based machine is sound enough, just till all your apps are sorted. Choosing to buy a PowerPC machine over an intel based machine is foolish for future use.
And until the bugs are worked out. And the price comes down.

In a years time when all the products are intel based, the resale value of the powerPC will fall dramatically.

I don't think so. Yes, they will fall but they won't tank. Nearly EVERYTHING will be universal binary for years to come, so there really isn't any reason they won't still be useful. The real question that will effect resale value of PPC machines is how cheap the iBook and mini's end up being after the transition is done. I'd bet my $750 estimate for a used 12" RevE PB 12 months from now is accurate.

People complain about rev A machines, but hey I've had issues with Apple hardware no matter what revision it was. Look at the Rev E powerbook with it's troublesome horizontal scanline destaturated ruined screen and iffy Battery reports.

If my Rev A: MacBookPro last's longer than two months, then that's more than my Rev E: Powerbook has.....

Sorry for your problems. I got burned on a RevA iMac G5. Fortunately I was able to trade it for a very nice mini/19" LCD setup, and ended up losing maybe $200. Not horribly bad, but I feel ya. That said, my RevA mini has been a complete tank and a joy since I've had it.

And you can't compare prices of a Refurb against New hardware. That's unfair. Compare new to new and the hardware is good value in comparison.

Why not? It's the same exact machine they are selling new, with the same exact warranty (the RevE 12" PB). How is it unfair? It's simply a better value (to some people) with limited availability. Is it fair to compare the same product from two sources with different prices, or one that's on sale?

Morn
Jan 12, 2006, 11:13 AM
MBP. Faster 5 times faster if you give any value to SPEC tests. Should help it reach decent speeds in rosetta. Great GPU. Did I say faster? Will boot windows, or at least run a VM for windows fast, which is quite important if you like to game. Save money on powercord replacement costs. :P Did I say runs windows? I'll be able to play half life 2 on it.

-Escher-
Jan 12, 2006, 12:22 PM
To be on the safe side. Rev. D Powerbook.
To be on the risky side. Rev. A MBP


It's never safe to buy an apple machine....It's never safe to buy ANY machine!

In 3 years I got:

1-HP zt3000: Had mother board problems and had to be fixed 3 times
2-Canon Rebel XT: Came with digital sensor damaged! Had to be replaced

Wes Jordan
Jan 12, 2006, 03:52 PM
Yes. I agree between the old PB and the new mbp. But I would wait.
Blu-Ray drives and 802.11n are probably within 12 months for a future rev of the Mac Book Pro. You will want those items without having to deal with adding external stuff. Next year, expect a OS update and another iLife update. Using the latest 64bit Intel cpus, using less watts, faster, more disk space, wait.... Maybe get a cheap and used G4 since they are probably cheaper now.

So the start of 2007 will mark the end of Apple innovations and there will never be new technologies that one would want? Even if you wait a year, you will see better products on the horizon. 12 months is a long time in the technology world. I know I don't want to wait that long before I get a new laptop.

BornAgainMac
Jan 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
So the start of 2007 will mark the end of Apple innovations and there will never be new technologies that one would want? Even if you wait a year, you will see better products on the horizon. 12 months is a long time in the technology world. I know I don't want to wait that long before I get a new laptop.


My Powerbook is only about 18 months old. I think the improvements with the Mac Book will be great enough in 12 months to allow me to replace both my Powermac G5 and Powerbook.

Wireless and DVD technology doesn't change that rapid so once those technologies get bumped up, that will be the time for me to buy. For example, I bought my Powerbook when DVD burning was starting to become the standard vs CD burning only. Also 802.11g was brand new.

MacTruck
Jan 12, 2006, 04:20 PM
The fact is most people buy computers because they want the not because they need them. A base G5 will do everything a quad will do, only slower. Speed is a drug man.

ortuno2k
Jan 12, 2006, 10:46 PM
I say get the MBP. That's what I'm doing, if you read my sig.
Plus it's newer and, according to Mr. Jobs, it's faster.

atari1356
Jan 12, 2006, 11:08 PM
If I didn't already own a PowerBook, I'd definitely go for the MacBook Pro. It's really a no-brainer to me... dual core processor, faster front side bus, better graphics card, iSight camera and the possibility of running Windows on the rare occasion I'd need to (assuming someone works out the EFI/Bios thing).

msharp
Jan 13, 2006, 02:57 AM
I own a powerbook 1.67. So, I choosed to keep it, for at least 1 or 2 years, just as before. That's because the pb1.67 is fine with me, the 4 times faster power is really attractive but not that good to persuade me to replace it.

If I don't have a powerbook, then I'll choose to wait, wait for the rev.A in the next month. The MacBook pro is an ideal laptop!!!!!!!!!! Maybe faster than my G5 2.0 x 2 on everyday tasks?