Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seldanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Hey,
I've been having some minor issues with the 'spinning beach ball'/system freezing up, or not even being able to boot up and having to re-install Mavericks...

So I brought it in to a Apple store, and they suggested doing a clean install... I've held off until now, I'm getting a new SSD and will be doing this clean install in a week or so. Is it possible to do a clean install in Mavericks on a new SSD and still have my Time Machine backups available?

I know the one time I changed the name of the hard drive and Time Machine didn't like that... I'm assuming I'll have to name the new drive the same as the old drive was?

I'd rather not restore as they said at the Apple store that could re-introduce the problem, so I'd like to do a clean install, then restore from backup some files/apps and my email.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
Hey,
I've been having some minor issues with the 'spinning beach ball'/system freezing up, or not even being able to boot up and having to re-install Mavericks...

So I brought it in to a Apple store, and they suggested doing a clean install... I've held off until now, I'm getting a new SSD and will be doing this clean install in a week or so. Is it possible to do a clean install in Mavericks on a new SSD and still have my Time Machine backups available?

I know the one time I changed the name of the hard drive and Time Machine didn't like that... I'm assuming I'll have to name the new drive the same as the old drive was?

I'd rather not restore as they said at the Apple store that could re-introduce the problem, so I'd like to do a clean install, then restore from backup some files/apps and my email.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Instead of TM, you'd be better off with an external clone of your existing drive before the SSD/clean install.

If you do want to use TM, go to pondini's guide and learn about inheriting TM backups.

http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html

seldanne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
wouldn't an external clone possibly just re-introduce the issue I'm having on the current drive? It's not the only reason I'm getting a new drive... I need more disk space, but just thought now would be an ideal time to do a clean install. Sorry, might have misread... you mean just as a backup in case the TM can't be restored from? I'll have the original drive though as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.