Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
When I'm expecting an email for a password reset or something, it comes instantly to my phone and I hear it beep etc...

Back on ML I could do "Mailbox" > "Get All New Mail" and the message would show in a few seconds once I knew it was available.

Now when I get the message on my phone I will do the same thing on my Mac to actually read the message.. "get all new mail" but it takes 1-3 minutes for the message to come in even when I've forced it to retrieve mail?

Anyone experience this?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yup, same here. I've also had it "go silent" and then give me a few hours' worth of messages all at once. Frustrating!

I have two email accounts, from different providers, so I know that it's not a server-side issue.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Yup, same here. I've also had it "go silent" and then give me a few hours' worth of messages all at once. Frustrating!

I have two email accounts, from different providers, so I know that it's not a server-side issue.

Yeah I've been having it happen for Outlook and Gmail.

I just got an email on my phone right away and went to fetch the emails on my Mac and it took close to 4 minutes to come up on my computer.

Something is broken, definitely didn't happen in ML. I remember always getting emails on my phone and wanting to view them on my Mac and once I refreshed they were there instantly.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Maybe Mail preferences to check the server are off. Check that.

The problems exists when I manually fetch mail though? I click "Get All New Mail" when I know theres new messages and it still takes like 3 minutes+ for the message to come in.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
This was the same with Snow Leopard.

It's still happening and makes the Mail app a little useless if I'm trying to quickly have an email conversation.

Mail comes instantly to my iPhone but not to my Mac. Even when I manually click "Get New Mail".

Used to work fine on ML.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Mail was ok with 10.6.8, it has never been the same since. It is the singles worst application of the whole OS.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
It's still happening and makes the Mail app a little useless if I'm trying to quickly have an email conversation.

Mail comes instantly to my iPhone but not to my Mac. Even when I manually click "Get New Mail".

Used to work fine on ML.

Apple doesn't want you to have "email conversations." They want you to use Messages.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Apple doesn't want you to have "email conversations." They want you to use Messages.

Ah I see, so I'm holding it wrong again I guess.

----------

Mail was ok with 10.6.8, it has never been the same since. It is the singles worst application of the whole OS.

I agree it has gotten really bad. I know there are messages waiting because my iPhone got them but the Mac mail app sometimes takes 5 minutes for it to show up. I don't get it.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
Ah I see, so I'm holding it wrong again I guess.

----------

I agree it has gotten really bad. I know there are messages waiting because my iPhone got them but the Mac mail app sometimes takes 5 minutes for it to show up. I don't get it.

Have you guys trying increasing the frequency of mail gathering/checks in preferences? The default is "automatic" but you can set it to check once a minute if you're really in a hurry...

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Have you guys trying increasing the frequency of mail gathering/checks in preferences? The default is "automatic" but you can set it to check once a minute if you're really in a hurry...

Yeah mine is set every minute. However this doesn't matter because it takes 5 minutes even when I click "Get All New Mail", manually bypassing the 1 minute setting and telling it to get the messages right now.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I was curious, so I sent a test mail from my office address to my personal address. My Mac saw the email first, but there was a short delay before I heard the chime. The delay was such that my Mac, my iPhone, and my iPad all chimed at the same time. The total elapsed time from hitting send to new mail chime was less than ten seconds.

A.
ps: should have mentioned that I am running Mavericks, 10.9.3.

Last edited:

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I was curious, so I sent a test mail from my office address to my personal address. My Mac saw the email first, but there was a short delay before I heard the chime. The delay was such that my Mac, my iPhone, and my iPad all chimed at the same time. The total elapsed time from hitting send to new mail chime was less than ten seconds.

A.

This is how mine was before Mavericks.

It worked great on ML however ever since 10.9 it has been like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.