Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys.

Last few days our Wi-fi has been dropping out. It will be fine, then internet connection is lost, while LAN is still working fine, i can access the router etc while the drop out has happened.

Turning wifi on my macbook pro on and off, gets the internet working again.

This is the same with mums macbook and dads pc.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with our Wifi adapter??

It is a Netgear CG3100

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Hi Guys.

Last few days our Wi-fi has been dropping out. It will be fine, then internet connection is lost, while LAN is still working fine, i can access the router etc while the drop out has happened.

Turning wifi on my macbook pro on and off, gets the internet working again.

This is the same with mums macbook and dads pc.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with our Wifi adapter??

It is a Netgear CG3100

1. Someone with a wireless router us suing the same "channel" in their router as you and interfering with your router. To check download the free wireless scanning program iStumbler Beta. This way you can check your router's channel setting to other around you and change the channel in your router to be unique.

2. Your wireless router also could be so old it is giving up the ghost and it needs replacing. I say this since your PCs and Macs are seeing the same problems.

Check this out to see if changing the wireless channel helps or not.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
1. Someone with a wireless router us suing the same "channel" in their router as you and interfering with your router. To check download the free wireless scanning program iStumbler Beta. This way you can check your router's channel setting to other around you and change the channel in your router to be unique.

2. Your wireless router also could be so old it is giving up the ghost and it needs replacing. I say this since your PCs and Macs are seeing the same problems.

Check this out to see if changing the wireless channel helps or not.

I use Wifi Explorer to find this:
ela7aw.jpg

The wireless router is about 6 months old :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.