Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Hello! I want to uninstall WOW from my iMac. It's taking 23 GB and I want it GONE. Is there a better way besides just trashing the entire folder?
Thanks

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Using the Trash is the accepted way to delete programs. However, this method usually leaves unimportant scraps behind.

If you want to delete everything, have a look here.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That is how you uninstall on OS X.

You could try using an app like AppTrap.

If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you don't want to go through manually to delete a program then look at these programs: freeware AppCleaner or sharewares AppDelete or AppZapper, and iTrash. Take your own pick.
As mentioned in my earlier post, none of these apps are effective in completely removing all app-associated files. In many cases they leave behind more than they delete. If you don't care about removing all associated files, you can simply drag the app to the trash, without any need for these removal apps.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Thanks

Thank you for all of your replies. They've been very helpful.
It was my son's WOW that I was trying to delete. It was using more than 23 GB!
I found the best way was to do a Finder search and adjust the criteria to include file names and clicked the "plus sign" and added system files. THEN i just dragged all that to the trash.
Thanks again! I Love this community ... been part of it for mare than decade. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.