Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
I should be getting my Mac Mini this weekend. I'm having a little bit of an issue deciding on my monitor connectors for it.

I have two monitors. One is a 24" HD (1080p) Acer with VGA and DVI ports. I had previously connected it to my MBP through a VGA to MDP adapter. Recently, I got a Cintiq 13HD, which I swapped out with my 24" monitor and connected to my MBP through a Belkin HDMI to Thunderbolt/MDP adatper.

I know the Mac Mini comes with a DVI to HDMI connector and I do have a DVI-D cable that should be able to connect. My question is, what is the best set up? I heard DVI is much better than VGA but I don't know if that will matter since the display is only 1080p. Without buying any new connectors, I figure I can do:

Cintiq to HDMI, Acer to VGA/MDP,
Cintiq to HDMI/MDP, Acer to DVI/HDMI, or
Cintiq to HDMI, Acer to DVI/HDMI to HDMI/MDP (which I can't imagine would be good for the signal)

If it would truly be worth it to go to DVI, should I go third party? I understand the Apple DVI to MDP is passive...which I am not really 100% certain what that means but apparently, it doesn't work to attach a second monitor to (saw a YouTube video about it).

I am sure I must sound like the biggest idiot. >_<

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Cintiq to HDMI, Acer to VGA/MDP

This looks to be the answer.

I use a Viewsonic 2770 with my late 2012 Mini, connected:
MiniDisplayport --> VGA
... using a monoprice cable.

Everything is sharp and fine.

Although a MDP-to-DVI cable would work as well.

Insofar as the 13HD goes, it seems to offer more than one connection option, including to USB. How you connect it is probably dependent on how you're going to -use it-.

But they key is to connect the big display to the MDPort, and then figure out what you want to do with the 13HD...

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Cintiq to HDMI, Acer to VGA/MDP

This looks to be the answer.

I use a Viewsonic 2770 with my late 2012 Mini, connected:
MiniDisplayport --> VGA
... using a monoprice cable.

Everything is sharp and fine.

Although a MDP-to-DVI cable would work as well.

Insofar as the 13HD goes, it seems to offer more than one connection option, including to USB. How you connect it is probably dependent on how you're going to -use it-.

But they key is to connect the big display to the MDPort, and then figure out what you want to do with the 13HD...

I'm a little confused. The Cintiq has one cable coming off it that splits into three. One goes to power, one goes to HDMI for video signal and one goes to USB for tablet features. Without all three, it doesn't work. So I'm not seeing the multiple connection options there.

But I think I'll go with the previous suggestions and try number 2 for right now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm a little confused. The Cintiq has one cable coming off it that splits into three. One goes to power, one goes to HDMI for video signal and one goes to USB for tablet features. Without all three, it doesn't work. So I'm not seeing the multiple connection options there.

But I think I'll go with the previous suggestions and try number 2 for right now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Don't use VGA with an LCD. Why would you want to go from a Digital Source (Computer) to Analog (VGA) back to a Digital Source (LCD monitor).

Always Digital to Digital when possible.

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Don't use VGA with an LCD. Why would you want to go from a Digital Source (Computer) to Analog (VGA) back to a Digital Source (LCD monitor).

Always Digital to Digital when possible.

I see. So I assume then that older monitors, like the CRTs were analog. Makes sense.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
paulbeers wrote above:
[[ Don't use VGA with an LCD ]]

I -do- use the VGA input on my LCD display.

It works just fine -- the image is crystal clear, sharp, responsive, pleasing. YMMV...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
paulbeers wrote above:
[[ Don't use VGA with an LCD ]]

I -do- use the VGA input on my LCD display.

It works just fine -- the image is crystal clear, sharp, responsive, pleasing. YMMV...

But that's silly to use.... Why introduce an analog conversion? Sure YMMV, but why even bother?!? Seems silly to use unless it is all your LCD or computer has! It is NOT a best practice to do a DAC then an ADC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.