Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 6 design renderings aimed at helping case manufacturers create early iPhone 6 cases ahead of the device's release have surfaced on Ukrainian website UkrainianiPhone [Google Translate] (via Nowhereelse.fr), from what the site calls a "reliable source of information."

The renderings are seemingly based on the same general design principles found in schematics leaked back in early March, but they provide more detail on what we might possibly expect from the iPhone 6. As with most of the current design leaks, the authenticity of the renderings cannot be confirmed.

iphone6casingrender.jpg
While the majority of renderings, cases, and iPhone 6 details leaked up until this point have failed to explain how Apple will incorporate antennas into the iPhone 6, the new Ukrainian renderings suggest that the back shell of the iPhone will not be all one piece, potentially leaving room in the aluminum casing for possible antenna inserts, similar to the design of the existing iPhone 5s. There are separate top and bottom pieces depicted in the renderings as well, which also point towards an antenna.

iphone6casingrender3.jpg
According to the renderings, the device will have a thickness of 6mm, which is somewhat in line with predictions from reliable KGI securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who pointed towards a thickness of 6.5 to 7mm. At 6mm, the iPhone 6 would be significantly thinner than the iPhone 5s, which is 7.6mm thick. The renderings also suggest the iPhone 6 will have a length of 138mm and a width of 67mm.

iphone6casingrender2.jpg
As with the original design schematics, the renderings incorporate a rounded flash, which is a departure from the existing pill-shaped True Tone flash introduced with the iPhone 5s. There's also a sleep/wake button located on the right side of the device, and rumors have thus far suggested Apple could move the button to make it easier to access sleep/wake on a larger device with one hand.

Overall, the renderings are more or less in line with previous iPhone 6 rumors, which have indeed pointed to a thinner design with smaller bezels. Apple's iPhone 6 is also expected to include an upgraded A8 processor, Touch ID, and an improved camera.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Case Maker's Renderings Display Antenna Cutouts, Thin Design

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The faster they release this phone, the better. That way the horrible 4" screen can be an ugly memory.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Can someone make them stop the thin-race and get a battery-life of at least 3-4 days on normal use! Pretty please!

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Gonna be rough resisting the 4.7" while staring at my 4S; all while clinging onto hope for a 5.5". Ahhh, first world problems. :-(

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
I haven't seen ONE single comment about the iPhone being too thick.. However I've seen tons of comments saying that the battery life suck. So Apple, doesn't that leave a hint what people really want?....

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
One of my favorite features of the 5 over the 4S was how it managed to get smaller (volumetrically) and lighter while increasing the screen size. The 4S now feels like a brick! If they can somehow manage to pull the same thing off with the 6 (I can dream), or even keep the weight around the same as the 5, I'd be a happy camper.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
The only way to get Apple to even consider focusing on battery and not thinness would be a concerted group effort to mass submit feedback via the feedback page.

SmokyD

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
Dear Apple,

Please reduce the top and bottom bezels and make the overall dimensions smaller rather than just focus on thinness. I personally would rather have a 7mm thick phone with smaller bezels than a 6mm thick phone that is longer and wider. And thinner also means less sturdy. At some point, it is just too much.

Steve at Jobs

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
I've bought HTC One M7 last year because I wanted powerful, beautiful phone with big screen. So no iPhone for me. The dimension of M7 are 137,4 mm x 68,2 x 9,3 mm.

Year after that Apple is planning to release iPhone 6 with dimensions 138 x 67 x 6 mm. Seems like HTC is doing great job!

Still gonna upgrade to iPhone 6 though :D :apple:

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I haven't seen ONE single comment about the iPhone being too thick.. However I've seen tons of comments saying that the battery life suck. So Apple, doesn't that leave a hint what people really want?....

marketing. "thinnest iPhone ever" or "thinnest smartphone ever" leads to week long lines on launch day.

sure people love long battery life, but talking a battery is not as sexy as talking about thinness when it comes to gadgets.

Joebarchuck

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
I don't understand this new design, why would Apple take away the great double flash? Is there an all in one flash I don't know about that could replace the double one? If not, then it's highly unlikely they would downgrade the camera's low light flash capabilities. It just makes no sense to me.

To wonder why hasn't anyone brought this up?

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Why are people so surprised about a rounded LED flash part?
It is easy to design a two color LED in one part. In bulk, it takes up less room, is lighter weight and cost less.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
The only way to get Apple to even consider focusing on battery and not thinness would be a concerted group effort to mass submit feedback via the feedback page.

I spam that page as often as I can. If Apple could make an iPhone Paper with 8 hours of battery life or a phone twice as thick with 16 hours of battery life, Apple would choose the thinner device.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Can someone make them stop the thin-race and get a battery-life of at least 3-4 days on normal use! Pretty please!

Or maybe the, New, two weeks on one charge, half inch thick, iPhone Brick.
Stacking up at a store near you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.