Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dzym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I'm more interested in getting the iPod itself to do this, but I assume it does it the same way iTunes does it. How do I make it display my music

Artist - Song Title

Almost all of my music shows up by song title only, but some of my albums show up with the Artist - Song correctly, and then some songs on an album will show up one way and other songs on the same album rip show up by song title only. I can't find any difference between when it shows Artist - Song and when it shows song only.

Please help.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
control click on a song and go into "get info" and make sure the tracks have all the info needed...if not then full them in. check your ipod options and make sure it shows all the stuff u want.

Bless

Dzym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
2nyRiggz said:
control click on a song and go into "get info" and make sure the tracks have all the info needed...if not then full them in. check your ipod options and make sure it shows all the stuff u want.

Bless

All my songs have the Artist and Song Title filled out.

Dzym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
2nyRiggz said:
this problem is in itunes and on the ipod? check your itunes/ipod options.

Bless

What option(s) should I look for? I haven't changed any settings in iTunes or iPod (except turning on the clock and turning the clicker off..)

It's a brand new iPod & the latest iTunes.

Dzym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
itunesexample.gif

Here's an example.

Those TOOL songs display the way I WANT it displayed.

Artist - Song Title

If I were to load up the iPod now, it would show the songs in the same order (organized alphabetically) and the same way (with most going by song title and some showing me both).

It seems that it "thinks" the song title is 'Tool - The Patient', when in fact it is properly tagged as artist: Tool, song: The Patient. What's even weirder is that the song Triad (down further on the list) is off the SAME ALBUM and they are both tagged the EXACT SAME WAY as far as I can tell.

What gives?!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You've pulled these songs in from another app, rather than ripped them with iTunes, correct? The problem is that the other app puts the tags in a different place, and they're conflicting with each other. There is a way to fix this, although I've never done it. Perhaps it's the "Convert ID3 Tags" function.

Dzym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Nermal said:
You've pulled these songs in from another app, rather than ripped them with iTunes, correct? The problem is that the other app puts the tags in a different place, and they're conflicting with each other. There is a way to fix this, although I've never done it. Perhaps it's the "Convert ID3 Tags" function.

Convert ID3 tag doesn't seem to do it.

Also, If I select one of the songs that displays the way I want, and then do a "Get Info" from iTunes, when I cancel it or not, it updates it to display with song title only. I'm assuming it is doing this because it re-reads the ID3 tag info and then goes back to showing only Song title.

itunes2.gif

I suppose if no one can solve this, one solution would be to re-tag every song with the song title being Artist Name - Song Title

but that'd be annoying as crap for everything but the iPod itself. :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Dzym said:
Convert ID3 tag doesn't seem to do it.

But am I correct in assuming that the tracks were first ripped using a different app?

Out of interest, why do you want the artist displayed twice anyway? :confused:

Dzym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Nermal said:
But am I correct in assuming that the tracks were first ripped using a different app?

Out of interest, why do you want the artist displayed twice anyway? :confused:

Yes, they were ripped in a different aps.

Well, it would only be displaying the artist twice in iTunes (once under name and then again under artist). The iPod seems to only display the 'Name' column when you goto Music > Songs > . I just want it to display and organize by Artist. And going to Music > Artist is different because then it plays the song you select, but only draws the next song from the same artist.

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
The only reason some songs are being displayed "Tool - The Patient" and others "The Patient" is because you've labled the song name as "Tool - The Patient". the ipod sees the song name being "Tool - The Patient" and the artist being "Tool".

If you really want all the song names to include the artist you'll either have to figure out some script to insert the artist name into the song name, or do it by hand, or mabey someone has some hack or something.

On a side note, doesnt your ipod display

Song Name
Album
Artist

or

Song Name
Artist

Why would you want it to display

Artist - Song Name
Album
Artist

Seems redundant and possibly anoying to me to have artist in two places on the display.

Anyway, I guess you might need to clarify with what you currently see on your iPod, and then again tell us what you want it to say.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
altair said:
Seems redundant and possibly anoying to me to have artist in two places on the display.
Dzym said:
The iPod seems to only display the 'Name' column when you goto Music > Songs > . I just want it to display and organize by Artist. And going to Music > Artist is different because then it plays the song you select, but only draws the next song from the same artist.

You don't see anything but "Name" in playlists or in "Music > Songs".

It's kinda related to this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/173103/

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.