Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonW.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
Hard wire cable is in one room with time machine.
iMac computer is in another room.
2 channel stereo is in the den with an apple airport express in line. I can stream music from my iPhone or iPad to the airport express and run it through the 2ch stereo with no problems. Now I can see my entire iTunes library via home sharing, thanks guys again.

Now, what's the skinny on aiff, mp3's, apple lossless, flack...??? please explain in layman's term so I can understand.

I don't know much about this, but what is the best settings in iTunes for importing cd's to run through the above system?

Thanks in advance....

RonW.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Since you are only using iTunes (at least at moment it seems so), might as well stick with Apple's alternative to the lossless format.

Lossless formats are uncompressed files.. a direct-from-CD rip. They are relatively large files in terms of capacity.

Lossy formats are AAC, MP3, etc. The general recommendation for AAC is that it retains a bit rate of 256kbps whereas MP3 is generally recommended to be 320kbps.

My personal recommendation is that if you can afford the space, stick with lossless codecs. AIFF is a similar format to a WAV. ALAC (Apple Lossless) is similar to FLAC. There are some enthusiast who will claim that the only best format is AIFF and WAV. I personally think this difference becomes aware in higher end audio setups, so you should not be able to discern a difference.

If you cannot afford the space for your music, AAC (256kbps) will serve you well.

Hope that helps! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.