PDA

View Full Version : OK to leave iBook encoding video for hours?

Dustintendo
Jan 13, 2006, 03:33 AM
im backing up all my dvds to h.264 (for my own use of course) which means leaving handbrake running for 14-15 hours on end with the fan spinning the entire time. the only reason i dont do it on my pc instead is because all of the encoding software on windows is crap compared to HB. so am i in danger of screwing my ibook up by doing this?

shadowmoses
Jan 13, 2006, 03:36 AM
Don't sweat it bro your iBook will be fine, in fact im sure it will love it,

ShadoW

Dustintendo
Jan 13, 2006, 03:37 AM
Don't sweat it bro your iBook will be fine, in fact im sure it will love it,

ShadoW

thanks for the quik response, also, do you know of any alternative for windows so that i could double my output? everything i have found so far either cant encode to h.264 or is buggy trash:mad:

Chaszmyr
Jan 13, 2006, 03:40 AM
thanks for the quik response, also, do you know of any alternative for windows so that i could double my output? everything i have found so far either cant encode to h.264 or is buggy trash:mad:

Quicktime Pro, $29.99 but worth it if you're going to be doing much video encoding.

giffut
Jan 13, 2006, 03:46 AM
... do something similar now for weeks, transcoding different video resources into mpeg2 transport streams, so that my dbox media center will play them.

I use an ancient iBook G3 500Mhz, and let me say this: It loves to calculate, albeit slow, but ready and steady.

I use it while booted from an external 7200rpm firewire drive, though, so the internal HD doesn´t get stressed too much. The advantage here is, that the iBook stays rather cool in the inside (my cpu fan never came up yet) and working in general feels snappier due to the faster and more robust 3.5" harddrive, compared to the 2.5" ones.

sk1985
Jan 13, 2006, 03:49 AM
You should be fine leaving your ibook on all day. I'd just shut the monitor down if I was using it for a longer than normal time.

I leave my mac mini on for hours on end (I don't do that with my ibook). It did however become faulty after a few months of use (mostly because a power surger damaged the logic board. That wasn't really a hardware defect.). Thats pretty much the only risk I can see with leaving a mac on for a long amount of time.

Dustintendo
Jan 13, 2006, 04:07 AM
i just bought qt pro and there is no option for new video recording:confused:

skimaxpower
Jan 13, 2006, 04:14 AM
No worries, I do it with my G4 powerbook all the time. As far as heat goes, make sure to leave the screen up so that the thing vents better. (heat rises - remove the lid)

As previosly mentioned, you'll also find that the whole process goes faster and cooler if you run Handbreak off a 7200rpm external hard drive. That little drive in your iBook is a lot slower.

Chaszmyr
Jan 13, 2006, 03:55 PM
i just bought qt pro and there is no option for new video recording:confused:

I'm not precisely sure what you mean by new video recording, but you didn't mention anything like that in your original post. With Quicktime Pro you open an existing video file and re-encode it to a different format.

Dustintendo
Jan 13, 2006, 06:31 PM
... do something similar now for weeks, transcoding different video resources into mpeg2 transport streams, so that my dbox media center will play them.

I use an ancient iBook G3 500Mhz, and let me say this: It loves to calculate, albeit slow, but ready and steady.

I use it while booted from an external 7200rpm firewire drive, though, so the internal HD doesn´t get stressed too much. The advantage here is, that the iBook stays rather cool in the inside (my cpu fan never came up yet) and working in general feels snappier due to the faster and more robust 3.5" harddrive, compared to the 2.5" ones.

yeah, im encoding h264 for xbox media center.....holy crap id hate to do this on a g3:eek: