Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gc15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I have been on iPhone since it launched on verizon coming from the 4 and now the 5s. I have been wanting to try out a different phone to just play around with and these two are the only ones I'm interested in and i was just wondering if i could buy them from the google play store and put my verizon sim in them? I have read that you can not since they are not compatible but I am just coming here to make sure. Thank you!!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
That's correct. The only phones you can get on Verizon are ones they actually sell.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have been wanting to try out a different phone to just play around...

^This is exactly why I won't switch to Verizon (well, amongst a whole bunch of reasons). Having a carrier on a GSM network makes it much, much easier to switch phones and offers a far greater selection to choose from.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
^This is exactly why I won't switch to Verizon (well, amongst a whole bunch of reasons). Having a carrier on a GSM network makes it much, much easier to switch phones and offers a far greater selection to choose from.

It's a big reason I switched AWAY from Verizon. If I ever need to go back on a "big" carrier I'm using AT&T.

gc15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012

I wish i didn't have to be on verizon, i would prefer to be on at&t; however, even though verizon and at&t both work where i currently live, but when i go home, verizon is the only one that works there. And if barly does that because its not even using verizon's towers, its using a local cdma cell tower. Thats why i stick with iPhone because I'm able to use iMessage even when my service is horrible or if i don't have service at all.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It's a big reason I switched AWAY from Verizon. If I ever need to go back on a "big" carrier I'm using AT&T.

Yup--I left Verizon for AT&T in 2006 after getting fed up waiting for any decent smartphone choices (that right there is funny in itself ;)), don't foresee leaving anytime soon. Helps that I have exceptional AT&T coverage where I live. :D

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Next month my TMobile bill is dropping to $108 for 4 phones. Two are going to be paid so no more payment on my bill, which is only $148 as it is for all four.
My Daughter wants to get a GS5 so $25 may go back on if she puts nothing down on it and i bought my Nexus 5 outright from the Playstore.

We are all able to upgrade if we want but my Wife dont care what she uses and i can upgrade her for only $199 from eBay on a brand new phone as i was thinking a Nokia 925 since she has a Windows phone now anyways and if i get another one i can give her mine as well. Hell id like to get the 925 for myself, lol.

There are many choices. I can also buy another Nexus 5 for her as well. There are cheap options without adding to the bill.

$108 would be really awesome to stay at for a while.

Last edited:

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I wish i didn't have to be on verizon, i would prefer to be on at&t; however, even though verizon and at&t both work where i currently live, but when i go home, verizon is the only one that works there. And if barly does that because its not even using verizon's towers, its using a local cdma cell tower. Thats why i stick with iPhone because I'm able to use iMessage even when my service is horrible or if i don't have service at all.

Why not just get a Microcell from AT&T?

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
The selection of phones is one reason I'm thinking of leaving Verizon for AT&T. I'd love to be able to get a Nexus or a GPE or something like an Oppo, but it's not happening in Verizon.

gc15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Even though verizon sims must be used with other verizon phones, but can the verizon iPhone be used with at&t since it is unlocked?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Even though verizon sims must be used with other verizon phones, but can the verizon iPhone be used with at&t since it is unlocked?

Yes, it has the requisite radios to function on AT&T's network, though data will be limited to HSPA.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Now you see awful the price of CDMA...

It was a reason, but not the only reason I left Sprint for AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.