Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddybing

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Norway
Hi! I was not sure what category to put this question in, so please excuse me if it is in the wrong place.

Earlier today I tried to boot up my Macintosh Classic to check if it is was still running smoothly after being stored for a couple of years.

Unfortunately, something has happened - and I am not sure what.

When I turn it on, I hear the hard drive spinning up and the screen is coming to life. But it is only showing a distorted "Screen of death". It was running great 2-3 years ago.

It has been stored in a basement with a small amount of humid. I never thought that would be a problem, though, since I both store and run other computers there without any problems.

Does anyone know what this problem could be caused by?

I'm very grateful for any answers :)

Daniel

----------

Here is a picture of the distorted screen

bilde.JPG

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Does it still have the original capacitors in it? If it does, they may have finally died. You may get better results with your query in the Apple Collectors sub forum. You can request a thread move by clicking on the triangle report button on your first post in this thread and request a thread move to the Apple Collectors sub forum.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Yup, as Intell says, original surface mount capacitors on the motherboard are the likely candidate.

Try this;

Turn it on, see the "checkerboard pattern" and leave it switched on for about 30 minutes. Then switch it off and back on again. If it works, extremely likely to be the capacitors.

ddybing

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Norway
Good morning, and thank your for answering quickly :)

Intell: Yes, I think so. It is what I feared :( I do not know too much about electronics, but are these replaceable in an easy manner, with little or no soldering? Or am I better off looking for a complete motherboard?

MacTech: I'll try that out right now and come back with details later.

Again, thank you very much for your answers :)

Last edited:

ddybing

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Norway
Update:

Leaving it on for 20 minutes, turning it off and then on again, worked brilliantly! :)

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Update:

Leaving it on for 20 minutes, turning it off and then on again, worked brilliantly! :)

Yup, then it's the capacitors on the motherboard and sadly, that does require soldering with a reasonable level of soldering skill.

Unfortunately, you won't find a motherboard that doesn't need the same reworking (unless it's been done already).

And it will get worse until eventually the 20 minute trick no longer works. :(

ddybing

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Norway
That was very unfortunate. I will look into changing them when they eventually fail. Thank you for such a detailed post. I highly appreciate it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.