Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john159

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
First off, i liked the ad very much when i first saw it

Second, it looks like a complete copy of the such great heights video by the postal service, not the first time apple has done this, with the eminem + itunes commerical it resembled alot of the Lugs ad, here is a link with a pic of the resemblence EDIT: HEre is a link for the music vid
http://www.musicvideocodes.com/?song=1384

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/26/lugz-threatens-legal-action-for-eminem-ipod-ad/

also just something else i might at, the voice is Kiefer SUtherland in the INtel chip ad, i didnt notice it at first and then i saw it on a kiefer site, and it does sound alot like him, for all of you 24 fans..

I do like the ad in general actually, but apple does not seem to be orgianl with the ads that they do make..

EDIT: HEre is a link with the two videos playing side by side... please tell me that they do not mimic each other;)

http://images.freshfjord.com/spunker/movies/thespunker.com.appleintelvspostalservice.mp4

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
The musicvideocodes link wasn't working for me when I clicked it, but I'm very surprised about the Lugz/Apple ordeal. It's starting to feel like every time Apple tries an Eminem ad, something goes terribly wrong.
-Chasen

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Okay, I can see why you would say it looks like Apple copied them. But honestly, what else can you do in a scene like this?

And as for Kiefer, I remember reading that hes a huge mac fan, and is very polite when he goes into the Apple store. Supposedly he thanks the employees about 100 times haha.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Perhaps the directors are the same?

In any case, how different do you expect chip pressing factories to look? If they had a car anywhere in the commercial, does that mean they copied the ad for every car company that has ever put a car in their ads?

john159

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
there arrre soo many car comercails that are soo different, same director in common alirhgt so do all directors make their movies exactly alike? That is not what the chip manufacturing place looks like too, its a done up design... there are so many different ways apple could have shown the intel chip being manufactured and they chose one that resembled soo much of the Postal Service Video... this isnt the first time they look alike too, the lugz ad for example

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Ha, we were watching the new 24's last night and the new apple ad come on. I thought it sounded like Keifer's voice, but no one agreed with me. I probably wouldn't even had thought it if I wasn't watching 24 at the time. Now I can go back to my friends and tell them I was right!!

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Wow, nice find. Those two look very very similar. Not that it bothers me that Apple "copied" it... I like the ad a lot. The music and Kiefer's voice probably do it but either way... it is pretty scary how they are so similar. Ah well... :rolleyes:

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
if it had been the exact same sequence as the music video I would be suspicious. But since some conspiracy theorist chopped the hell out of the video, I can't see what the big deal is.

john159

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
yeh.. i dont care that it was "copied" i just thought it was and interesting similarity, i do like the comercial

and 24 was insanelyyyy good :) (i saw the comercial too)

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
If I were to write a paper that was as similar to a published article as the Apple commercial is to the Postal Service music video, I'd be kicked out of medical school.

john159

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
DTphonehome said:
If I were to write a paper that was as similar to a published article as the Apple commercial is to the Postal Service music video, I'd be kicked out of medical school.

good analogy

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
People, please realize that the music video portion is heavily edited. Yes, they look exactly the same when somebody puts a bunch of edited clips next to each other. This isn't something crazy or cool or weird like the Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz (which works by the way), it's just a coincidence. Honestly, how many microchip factories are there to film at (especially in Cali, where both of these were probably filmed). On top of that, I'm pretty sure all chip factories have people in suits and robotic arms.

#Johnny5

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2001
Direct side-by-side comparison

I created a single video with side-by-side comparison of the videos, with Apple's ad running in its entirity, and the Postal Service's video's corresponding clips syncronized along side. The resemblance is undeniable, to say the least. Here's the link: http://www.ELITEproductionsWI.com/apple-ps.htm Oh, right- and the story's been up for a couple days over at the Cult of Mac Blog: http://cultofmac.com/index.php/2006/01/13/apple_vs_postal_service_a_side_by_side_c

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Looks ripped off to me. The woman in the suit even looks the same...

As for the voice...doesn't sound like Kiefer Sutherland or Jack Bauer to me.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
The ad/music video are similar. It's because they were both created/directed by the same person. (There's a story about it floating around on wired; i dont have the link handy)

john159

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2005
i heard somewhere that this ad was done by the same director... i dont kno whether this is breaking any laws... but jobs always seems to be so "thrilled" with his new comercials that are copies of other comercials. The Itunes + Eminem is not playing anymore i think, i wonder how long this intel ad has left..

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
I can see how this must have happened.
Apple decides on the last moment who is going to get the ad campaign. The director gets called up at night by his creative team. He has to shoot the next day, Macworld is in a week, he goes : what? Kieffer Sutherlands in. He goes what again.
They say get your ass on the set we have an idea. He goes OK, and goes back to sleep.
I am not saying it did happen like that but it "could" have happened like that. Anyway this ad is lame if it has been done before. I liked it at first, very esthetical and well timed.
It's sad for the ad agency and its director, really.

Ferrence

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2005
Apple vs. Postal Service

Ok, so that commercial bothered me so much that I had to do some
research.

Turns out, there's a directing team that goes by the name of "Josh
and Xander." They directed both the Postal Service video and the
Apple spot. That makes much more sense. They probably saw it as a
way to make some money on an idea that probably had not seen any
returns whatsoever. The only question remains...why didn't they use
the Postal Service's music? I can't think of anyone more cliché than
Moby.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Ironic??

:rolleyes: So Apple just added The Postal Service "such great heights" video to itunes. I am sure they are fully aware of the irony, maybe someone thought it'd be funny???

--Or maybe some sort of deal with the directors (of both movies that is)?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
When I first saw the ad for the Postal Service Video in iTunes, I thought it was the Apple commercial.

Picture 2.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.