Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralph123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Hi to all!!
I'm new at MacRumors, I know that this topic has already been commented on the forum, but I wanted to ask based on my own needs.
Do you think that the new Mac Mini (call it Haswell, 2014 or whatever) is going to be released the 2nd of June in the WWDC??
Or do you think they are going to wait to the Broadwell processor and release the Mac Mini in late 2014 or 2015?
I want to buy it to switch from the creepy Windows XP, last summer I didn't bought it because I thought that it was going to be upgraded in the Autumn keynotes, but it wasn't,:mad: so I'm waiting to the WWDC. I prefer to buy the upgraded one to play games smoothly and with a better quality, and also to edit some homemade videos.
Thanks for your answers and sorry for my english :))

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I don't think we will see a new Mac mini until or on the WWDC. Maybe later in this year.

Let's hope, that I am wrong.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Minis had a recent pricedrop. I would get a quadcore and stick an ssd in myself.
Never speculate on a refresh. Just buy what you want/need, everything else will make you unhappy.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Welcome to the forum. Your English is good.

If you read the long threads speculating on a new Mini you will see none of us know when or even if a new Mininis coming, my view based on recent news stories is that there will not be a Min refresh at WWDC. There could well be no new Mini in 2014

You mention gaming, what games ? I'm not a gamer but it's a common comment here that one of the shortfalls with the current Mini is graphics processing.

I would suggest you look for a second hand Mini (perhaps difficult if the country you live in doesn't have so many Minis, even in the UK which is quite a big market for Apple they are hard to find) and upgrade to 8 or 16 RAM and add SSD to get the most out of it.

Good luck

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Minis had a recent pricedrop. I would get a quadcore and stick an ssd in myself.
Never speculate on a refresh. Just buy what you want/need, everything else will make you unhappy.

This! In the world of computing it's NOW that matters, as the future is always uncertain... and no one can predict how the next tock will change the world.

ralph123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Thanks to the people that answered; my decision is to wait till the WWDC (I know it's unprobable to see a new Mini, but I'm not in a hurry) and then if all is like predicted, buy a refurbished Mini and with the money saved, I will upgrade the ram and maybe I will purchase an SSD. I'm excited about entering in the Mac world!!:):apple:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Thanks to the people that answered; my decision is to wait till the WWDC (I know it's unprobable to see a new Mini, but I'm not in a hurry) and then if all is like predicted, buy a refurbished Mini and with the money saved, I will upgrade the ram and maybe I will purchase an SSD. I'm excited about entering in the Mac world!!:):apple:
Where I live the entry mini can be had for 499€ now.
It has the same internals as the 2012 cmbp.
I would personally go for the quad core now but for 499,- its a steal and the best way to go Mac.

ralph123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Where do you live?? :) here the entry Mac mini is 650€, I thought about buying one from the US but with the taxes and the delivery its near that price :(

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Apple will wait with updates of ANY mac for Broadwell, and things are not goind smooth in the Intel camp. Expect all Macs to get serious updates just before the holiday season.

I don't know about other EU countries, but here MediaMarkt often has a big Apple promotion by the end of June, lowering Mini's with 100€ on average. If you buy one then, you pretty much can use it 1-1.5 years for free: you can sell it after that time for the buying price second hand and get yourself the latest.

I see on guenstiger.de that there are many shops around 550€. That is a good price. No 499€ offers though!. You will find one that ships abroad to other EU countries, and Germany has one of the cheapest postal services, so shipping won't add much.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Apple will wait with updates of ANY mac for Broadwell, and things are not goind smooth in the Intel camp. Expect all Macs to get serious updates just before the holiday season.

I don't know about other EU countries, but here MediaMarkt often has a big Apple promotion by the end of June, lowering Mini's with 100€ on average. If you buy one then, you pretty much can use it 1-1.5 years for free: you can sell it after that time for the buying price second hand and get yourself the latest.

I see on guenstiger.de that there are many shops around 550€. That is a good price. No 499€ offers though!. You will find one that ships abroad to other EU countries, and Germany has one of the cheapest postal services, so shipping won't add much.
Saturn had one for 499€ in there online store over the weekend.
Those offers are an indication that prices are gonna drop to that level very soon!
Especially since saturn and mediamarkt are the same company.
If you can't find one for 499,- now, just keep an eye out an offer will pop up any day again.

Last edited:

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I'd wait to see what WWDC brings. That's only what 3 weeks away? If there's no new mini at WWDC then I'd just get a quad i7 mini from the refurb. store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.