Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Use the title box properly, stop writing completely unspecific things in there like "Can I get your opinion", "Is this possible", "Can iMovie Do This" etc. (Yes those are literally titles I've seen here)

You either waste people's time who click it but can't actually answer it (They wouldn't click it if they knew they didn't know how to answer it) OR you miss out on people answering because they're not gonna bother clicking it, but may know the answer (They would click it if they knew they know how to answer it).

I know this isn't relevant to digital video but someone's got to mention it...there's no point whatsoever in having a title if you can't be bothered to put context into it. Most people actually use the title box properly but there are people who don't, and it needs to be addressed.

Edit: I had this in the digital video section but it's been moved. I was mainly addressing digital video but I've definitely seen this happen in other areas of the MacRumors forums.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Use the title box properly, stop writing completely unspecific things in there like "Can I get your opinion", "Is this possible", "Can iMovie Do This" etc. (Yes those are literally titles I've seen here)

You either waste people's time who click it but can't actually answer it (They wouldn't click it if they knew they didn't know how to answer it) OR you miss out on people answering because they're not gonna bother clicking it, but may know the answer (They would click it if they knew they know how to answer it).

I know this isn't relevant to digital video but someone's got to mention it...there's no point whatsoever in having a title if you can't be bothered to put context into it. Most people actually use the title box properly but there are people who don't, and it needs to be addressed.

Don't forget,
Help please
I need help
I have a problem

Last edited by a moderator:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I Want To Know What You Would Think of This Please Use the title box properly, stop writing completely unspecific things in there like "Can I get your opinion", "Is this possible", "Can iMovie Do This" etc. (Yes those are literally titles I've seen here)

I know you're trying to make a point here, but you might get more attention if you had used "annoying non-specific forum titles" as your heading, rather than "I Want To Know What You Would Think of This Please". Many people ignore headlines like that.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
rather than "I Want To Know What You Would Think of This Please". Many people ignore headlines like that.

That's the exact point I'm trying to make...showing just how damn irrelevant some titles can be. I'll add it in though.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you feel a thread title is too ambiguous, you can report the thread to us with your suggested title for it and we'll consider updating it to be more specific.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
If you feel a thread title is too ambiguous, you can report the thread to us with your suggested title for it and we'll consider updating it to be more specific.

Could it also be a rule that posters must use context in titles?

I think it's worth going under the "minor problems" section.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

As SBG mentioned above, if a Title is uninformative, simply send a Post Report suggesting that a Title might be changed, and possibly suggest a better Title.

It seems to me this action precludes the need for a Rule change, since even with a Rule change a Post Report would be sent, making the Rule change superfluous.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
It seems to me this action precludes the need for a Rule change, since even with a Rule change a Post Report would be sent, making the Rule change superfluous.

I'm one person and have things to do, I'm not gonna go through the entire forum reporting posts, I'm not going to go through the entire forum to tell people to report posts either. I shouldn't be the only one told that they ought to report posts.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I don't believe a rule change is needed. This is even less than a "minor problem" in the greater scheme of the forum.

A simple Post Report is all that is needed.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
I don't believe a rule change is needed. This is even less than a "minor problem" in the greater scheme of the forum.

A simple Post Report is all that is needed.

Then how will posters know to consider their titles, and how will other people know to report posts? I shouldn't be the only one to have to know this...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm one person and have things to do, I'm not gonna go through the entire forum reporting posts, I'm not going to go through the entire forum to tell people to report posts either. I shouldn't be the only one told that they ought to report posts.

No one is asking you to. You just report things as you see them in your daily browsing - if you feel like it.

The forum gets along just fine without having to search every thread for potential ambiguity in it's title.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
You just report things as you see them in your daily browsing - if you feel like it.

My point being that other people should know that it's worth reporting posts with ambiguous titles, not just me or those reading this post. I don't see a better way to get people to know this without making it a rule, I'd say it's almost as bad as bumping just not as common.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My point being that other people should know that it's worth reporting posts with ambiguous titles, not just me or those reading this post. I don't see a better way to get people to know this without making it a rule, I'd say it's almost as bad as bumping just not as common.

Adding it as a rule is not likely to help people be aware of it. Most people never read them, though they agree to follow them as part of the registration agreement, and thus will not know about it. I don't see any benefit to adding another thing of 'what not to do' to our rules for this particular thing.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Adding it as a rule is not likely to help people be aware of it. Most people never read them, though they agree to follow them as part of the registration agreement, and thus will not know about it. I don't see any benefit to adding another thing of 'what not to do' to our rules for this particular thing.

It won't get many current users to know about it, but it'll get new users and perhaps people who check over the rules every so often. I don't know what the harm is in making it a rule.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't think that "making a rule" will force people to use more informative titles, when they may think their particular title is pretty relevant already. :D (at least, in their own mind…)
I remember working at a call center a few years ago, taking computer tech support calls. I always liked the folks who thought "It's not working!" gives some useful information.
It then becomes very relevant for the first reader to ask a couple of efficient questions to expand on those vague titles.
One certainly doesn't need to "police" the whole forum - but you can provide suggested title changes on posts that YOU are interested in.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
One certainly doesn't need to "police" the whole forum - but you can provide suggested title changes on posts that YOU are interested in.

I'm not saying that that's what people are asking me to do, I'm saying that people may as well tell me that since the suggestion is being limited to just this post.

The point isn't that I want the all clear to report posts with ambiguous titles, that'd be ineffective, the point is that I want people to stop doing it altogether. It's a waste of my time to click posts which I find out don't interest me, I'm not gonna waste any more time having to report the post.

It's like putting up CCTV cameras with no signs versus putting up signs but no CCTV cameras; in some cases people are gonna read the signs and not commit a crime, but if there are no signs then they will feel more inclined to commit a crime.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
My point is - a rule about ambiguous thread titles would likely fall on deaf ears anyway.
What should we do here? Ban posters who can't come up with an eye-catching, concise summation of their idea or question?
Tough enough for some with a language barrier to post in the first place, without also struggling with the potential "thread-title rule" :D

You have a good idea, I think, but one that not everyone will share the same level of experience to use your idea. Fix the worst, let the others live, as is.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
What should we do here? Ban posters who can't come up with an eye-catching, concise summation of their idea or question?
Tough enough for some with a language barrier to post in the first place, without also struggling with the potential "thread-title rule" :D

No, not ban people, just get some to understand that they need to consider their titles more, and get more people than just me to report posts that don't have good titles.

Good point with people who have trouble with English, but then they'd just be reported and fixed anyway. I'm not saying putting the rule there will suddenly stop it overnight, just that it'll help prevent it to some level.

It seems foolish to me that a huge part of posting on a forum is to write meaningful titles but people aren't doing so, and it seems even more foolish to me that the mods aren't interested in putting much effort into fixing this. Maybe if this was a rule then people wouldn't feel the need to bump posts.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
...and get more people than just me to report posts that don't have good titles.

I just wanted to state that there are a number of members who frequently report threads with ambiguous titles. You are not alone!

Maybe if this was a rule then people wouldn't feel the need to bump posts.

Would you care to elaborate on this point? I'm not sure how ambiguous thread titles and bumping are related.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Would you care to elaborate on this point? I'm not sure how ambiguous thread titles and bumping are related.

If people don't click posts because they have ambiguous titles, then they're less likely to get replies, and people will feel the need to bump.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A new rule will not help folks with their patience. (or, rather, lack of patience :D )
Even that catchy, relevant title will neither prevent bumps, nor compel someone to read, then respond.
And, you will still get bumps anyway.
I am deeply upset and shocked almost to the point of extreme mental distress! You would think that with that great title for my (dope) thread, that I would get all kinds of responses :( How long since my thread started? 2 hours? (bump) (bump)

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
A new rule will not help folks with their patience. (or, rather, lack of patience :D )
Even that catchy, relevant title will neither prevent bumps, nor compel someone to read, then respond.

You will still get bumps, and you will still get ambiguous titles.

The idea here is to lower the amount of times it happens...nothing is going to bring it to a complete halt. You're not thinking about this properly if you can't grasp that.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

This demonstrates that another Rule regarding poor Titles would be unnecessary and ineffective, since there is a Rule against bumping, and that doesn't stop folks from doing it anyway. Just a one can Report a bump, one can report a poor Title, and another Rule would not, IMO, change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.