Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siege

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
This is my first mac and I dont know anybody with one so I'm really lost on this. I have the 15" PowerBook, bought about 6 months ago. When the battery is fully charged (or close to it) and still has the power plugged in, it gets incredibly hot! I've used "hot" laptops before and this is the worst I've ever experienced. I expected it to be a bit hotter than usual due to the metal case but I dont think this is right and I really dont want to fry my beautiful machine.

I tried calibrating it and no difference. I then discovered some batteries have been recalled but mine isn't one of them. It runs very quietly so I'm wondering if maybe the fan isn't coming on. So first of all, how noisy is the fan? I can hear at least one fan thats always going (its very quiet), is there a second that should come on?

The heat isn't directly where the battery is. It runs along the back edge and is very hot on top too but no heat at all along the front - thank goodness! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it at all. Despite the heat being at the back, it doesn't seem to get as bad when running off battery so I assume it has something to do with the charging, although it could be due to energy conserving.

When I saw the battery update download the other day I was hoping that would solve all my problems but it said I didn't need it...

Can anyone offer any insight into this problem? Is it fan, battery, charger, perfectly normal or none of the above?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Siege said:
This is my first mac and I dont know anybody with one so I'm really lost on this. I have the 15" PowerBook, bought about 6 months ago. When the battery is fully charged (or close to it) and still has the power plugged in, it gets incredibly hot! I've used "hot" laptops before and this is the worst I've ever experienced. I expected it to be a bit hotter than usual due to the metal case but I dont think this is right and I really dont want to fry my beautiful machine.

I tried calibrating it and no difference. I then discovered some batteries have been recalled but mine isn't one of them. It runs very quietly so I'm wondering if maybe the fan isn't coming on. So first of all, how noisy is the fan? I can hear at least one fan thats always going (its very quiet), is there a second that should come on?

The heat isn't directly where the battery is. It runs along the back edge and is very hot on top too but no heat at all along the front - thank goodness! Otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it at all. Despite the heat being at the back, it doesn't seem to get as bad when running off battery so I assume it has something to do with the charging, although it could be due to energy conserving.

When I saw the battery update download the other day I was hoping that would solve all my problems but it said I didn't need it...

Can anyone offer any insight into this problem? Is it fan, battery, charger, perfectly normal or none of the above?
I'm very sorry to be the one to tell you this.

But the Powerbook is just DAMN hot. Every model from almost every revision has been this hot. I owned the last TiBook and i know own the last PPC Powerbook, and they're both steamin'. And i'm talking "Am I burning myself right now?" hot. There is nothing wrong with your machine, nor will there be due to the heat, so long as the fan intake and outputs are clear.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
pdpfilms said:
I'm very sorry to be the one to tell you this.

But the Powerbook is just DAMN hot. Every model from almost every revision has been this hot. I owned the last TiBook and i know own the last PPC Powerbook, and they're both steamin'. And i'm talking "Am I burning myself right now?" hot. There is nothing wrong with your machine, nor will there be due to the heat, so long as the fan intake and outputs are clear.

im running a year old powerbook 15", and currently as displayed by more handy little widget its running…145º. The highest iv gotten is 154º. You just have to wait until a new macbook pro/S/iBook.

Siege

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
:( Oh well... I guess thats what I get for being impatient and not waiting for the Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.