Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisk1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2014
The hard drive on my mac mini died and I followed all the guides on how to install it. It is installed correctly, but when I try to reinstall OSX it won't recognize the new drive. I also cannot hear the hard drive working. I got a Seagate 500 gb/go data. Any ideas? Could the new hard drive be bad?

Thanks for your help!

chrisk1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2014
I don't know if I have that type. But, when I turn on the computer holding "option" and it does an internet recovery, it doesn't even show any drives or volumes to choose. There is no error message, it says to choose a drive, but there is none to choose.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I don't know if I have that type. But, when I turn on the computer holding "option" and it does an internet recovery, it doesn't even show any drives or volumes to choose. There is no error message, it says to choose a drive, but there is none to choose.

Here's a similar thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/524082/

You probably need to format the new drive for the machine to recognise it. I went through a similar process with my Mini recently and I needed to use Disk Utility to initialise the new drive before it would show up for installation.

chrisk1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2014
Thank you for responding. I don't have an install disc. There is no cd/dvd drive on the mac mini.

I do have the OSX installed on a flash drive. When it is plugged in, the mac mini will run off it. When I go in the utilities, it is there but says it is empty. Can I format the new drive there?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
From Apple...

Command-R to the rescue.
Just hold down Command-R during startup and OS X Recovery springs into action. It lets you choose from common utilities: you can run Disk Utility to check or repair your hard drive, erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X, or restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup. You can even use Safari to get help from Apple Support online. And if OS X Recovery encounters problems, it will automatically connect to Apple over the Internet.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Here's what you do.

Thank you for responding. I don't have an install disc. There is no cd/dvd drive on the mac mini.

I do have the OSX installed on a flash drive. When it is plugged in, the mac mini will run off it. When I go in the utilities, it is there but says it is empty. Can I format the new drive there?

Pop Disk Utility, either by holding cmd+r during boot up and picking Disk Utility, or with the USB flash drive you mentioned. There, you click your drive, and select delete. You then delete it all. Settings should be GUID and Mac OS Extended (Journaled). After this is done, you should be able to install your OS.

----------

From Apple...

Command-R to the rescue.
Just hold down Command-R during startup and OS X Recovery springs into action. It lets you choose from common utilities: you can run Disk Utility to check or repair your hard drive, erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X, or restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup. You can even use Safari to get help from Apple Support online. And if OS X Recovery encounters problems, it will automatically connect to Apple over the Internet.

Hey! That's funny. I was writing the almost exact same thing when you posted that.

chrisk1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2014
Thank you jbarley and casperes (sorry I'm sure I messed that up)! I did control-R and clicked erase, named my hard drive. Then clicked on install OSX and the hard drive was there! Oh I did the happy dance!! It is currently installing, will take 1 1/2 hours or so. But, I think I will be ok from there! Thank you again!!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
No problem

Thank you jbarley and casperes (sorry I'm sure I messed that up)! I did control-R and clicked erase, named my hard drive. Then clicked on install OSX and the hard drive was there! Oh I did the happy dance!! It is currently installing, will take 1 1/2 hours or so. But, I think I will be ok from there! Thank you again!!

Hehe, glad I could be of assistance. Hope you enjoy!

chrisk1967

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2014
Just wanted to say Thank You, again! It works perfectly!! We were ready to take it in to Apple and pay more to have them fix it. Really glad it was a simple fix! Couldn't have done it without you all!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.