PDA

View Full Version : How do I test a 1ghz Tibook logic board w/out an LCD?

California
Jan 13, 2006, 09:36 PM
Last week, I bought a smashed 1ghz Tibook for the extra parts and found out that the logic board still works! Yeah, it lights up and the hard drive starts (I can hear it) and the fans go off and the optical drives sucks up a disc. But no lcd -- it ripped off the top case.
How do I test this? The firewire is okay, didn't even think to plug in the usb ports -- is there sort of a reverse target mode so I can have some sort of screen response on either my iBook or 12" powerbook? do I need the dvi adapter or something? I'm fresh out of all my old Tibook accessories but have all the iBook g4 and Powerbook 12" 1.5 stuff

ReanimationLP
Jan 13, 2006, 09:46 PM
Plug it into a monitor Ann.

Or take a 6-pin to 6-pin FW cable, plug it into your other TiBook, and see if you can jump it into FW Target Disk Mode. (Hold T on the 1GHz machine)

Also, since those used the DVI screen, make sure your TiBook that you plan to transport the logic board into, has DVI in the back as one of the ports. If it has VGA, you'll need to buy a new screen.

Good luck. ^.^

BTW, your RAM is being shipped out tomorrow. :D

California
Jan 13, 2006, 10:09 PM
Plug it into a monitor Ann.

Or take a 6-pin to 6-pin FW cable, plug it into your other TiBook, and see if you can jump it into FW Target Disk Mode. (Hold T on the 1GHz machine)

Also, since those used the DVI screen, make sure your TiBook that you plan to transport the logic board into, has DVI in the back as one of the ports. If it has VGA, you'll need to buy a new screen.

Good luck. ^.^

BTW, your RAM is being shipped out tomorrow. :D

Hi and thanks. Forgot to say there is no keyboard. And I no longer have any old Tibooks -- it's got to plug into an 1.42 iBook or 1.5 12" pb. So I guess either I get a DVI keyboard or I don't know what to do...

And your memory is packaged and going out in the morning, too. Thanks J

EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Jan 13, 2006, 10:40 PM
Get a DVI-VGA adapter from somewhere cheap.

ReanimationLP
Jan 13, 2006, 10:46 PM
Hi and thanks. Forgot to say there is no keyboard. And I no longer have any old Tibooks -- it's got to plug into an 1.42 iBook or 1.5 12" pb. So I guess either I get a DVI keyboard or I don't know what to do...

And your memory is packaged and going out in the morning, too. Thanks J

Get a DVI to VGA adapter, or plug it into a DVI display, and plug in any USB keyboard. Boot it up. If you arent able to plug it into a comp, just hold down the T on the USB keyboard.