Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linjac444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2014
So anyways, after a year of disappointing issues with the repairs done on my macbook air, Apple has suggested me to replace my macbook air for free because they said they have spent way too much replacing the parts in my macbook for the same issue. I am wondering if anyone had experience with this, as I am new. Also, I was thinking of upgrading to the 13" pro retina. Will they approve of that or has anyone been able to do that? I am happy to pay the difference. I want to switch not cuz of the screen, but because reliability reasons. Apple is using cheap parts on the Air to offset the price drop.

Makes me kind of sad because my whole computer is composed of good reliable samsung parts such as the sad and the screen. Im pretty sure some idiot during one of my repairs f'ed up a cable or something. And on top of that, I have a zero scratches or blemishes on my laptop. Near New condition! Im am now concerned because apple is switching from samsung to sandisk and lg :(. I could care less with 20%-30% speed increase. I want reliability. At least until I get a decent job so I can get another macbook.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So anyways, after a year of disappointing issues with the repairs done on my macbook air, Apple has suggested me to replace my macbook air for free because they said they have spent way too much replacing the parts in my macbook for the same issue. I am wondering if anyone had experience with this, as I am new. Also, I was thinking of upgrading to the 13" pro retina. Will they approve of that or has anyone been able to do that? I am happy to pay the difference. I want to switch not cuz of the screen, but because reliability reasons. Apple is using cheap parts on the Air to offset the price drop.

Makes me kind of sad because my whole computer is composed of good reliable samsung parts such as the sad and the screen. Im pretty sure some idiot during one of my repairs f'ed up a cable or something. And on top of that, I have a zero scratches or blemishes on my laptop. Near New condition! Im am now concerned because apple is switching from samsung to sandisk and lg :(. I could care less with 20%-30% speed increase. I want reliability. At least until I get a decent job so I can get another macbook.

They will make you pay the difference, but yes, you can do that. I switched a Mid 2010 MacBook to a Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro a few years back.

linjac444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2014
They will make you pay the difference, but yes, you can do that. I switched a Mid 2010 MacBook to a Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro a few years back.

Do you remember the price difference they made you pay or was it free?

----------

OMG you have the same exact rig as mine lol phoneme 6850

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you already decided you want a MB, should just pre-empt the issue and say to them, "can I switch and I will pay whatever difference."

You never know when you are dealing with a rigid front line employee that decides to stick by the book.

linjac444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2014
I think the person I am dealing with is not going by the book because she suggested I go through with this.i wanted to mail in my mac cause I have the most reliable parts.anyways I'm waiting until she calls me back for my info to bring up the subject of switching.also I'm not dealing with an the genius bar.this is from corporate.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

I was lemoning a MacBook (Late 2006) and they were going to give me a MacBook (Mid 2010) in exchange for the troubled machine. I asked if I could pay the difference for a 13" MacBook Pro and they said yes. I only made one customization (to a 500GB hard drive from a 250GB or 320GB, I forget which) and I paid the retail price for the difference.

eboakes

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
East Coast
Get the refund; then buy new mac

In Nov of 2011, I purchased a 27" iMac. it was defective. It took MONTHS and many, many trips to the genius bar to prove it. They even sent a repairman, who made it even worse. Apple replaced this iMac. The replacement still didn't work. By August 2012, Suzanne Bradford, in the chairman's office, offered to refund my purchase price. It took until October for her to issue the return authorization. Once it was returned to Apple, they immediately refunded the purchase price back to the credit card on which I'd purchased it. I then purchased a 15" MacBook Pro Retina, which has worked very nicely ever since. The problem seems to have been that a small percentage of iMacs have USB chips that cannot reliably talk to version 3 LaCie d2 Quadra drives. I have a thread on the Apple Support forums about this incompatibility. Quite a number of other users have had this problem, and Apple doesn't seem the least bit interested in fixing it. Neither does LaCie, though LaCie did replace my four d2 Quadras with two Thunderbolt "Big Drives", which work much better, though not perfectly.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah you can ask for store credit, so just pay the difference. You won't get an upgrade for free though unless say you old base model had a discrete GPU and the new base model doesn't; for this you can usually make a case for an upgraded one that has the discrete GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.