PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone buying a Powerbook still?

technicolor
Jan 14, 2006, 09:57 AM
Is anybody here still going to purchase a powerpc Powerbook even though the Macbook pro is out? If so why?

smwatson
Jan 14, 2006, 10:01 AM
Im not, but im sure people will. the intel chip, although supposedly faster, is going to be new to Apple hardware and software, and people wont be able to run all their favourite apps natively (photoshop the main example). However, with the second and third revs, and more screen sizes, im sure that people will make the switch, but maybe not for another 2-3 years. I know that i wont replace my new iMac until mid-way through uni (3 years) and i will only buy one before if i need a notebook for uni (which will be the new ibook if its slim, fast, light etc).

Applespider
Jan 14, 2006, 10:11 AM
If my Powerbook were to get stolen today, I'd ask my insurance company to replace it with the last PPC PB revision rather than the Macbook Pro.

Why? Just a feeling that this Rosetta isn't going to be all it's cracked up to be and I'd rather have all the apps running at a good speed than some running whoosh and others like treacle (from early reports). Add to that the potential with any Rev A and that I'd prefer to get my first Intel Mac once more universal binaries are shipping and probably with Leopard on it. I also feel that this MacBook Pro is a stopgap because they 'had' to in order to compete. I'm expecting better with the full range of portables being updated, if not at WWDC, at Macworld Paris.

Will_reed
Jan 15, 2006, 06:10 AM
Ive got the second most recent release of the pb g4 17inch so theres not much to upgrade for.

Warbrain
Jan 15, 2006, 07:23 AM
Yea, I'd definitely buy the cheaper laptop that comes with more features even though it has a slower processor.

EGT
Jan 15, 2006, 12:01 PM
If my Powerbook were to get stolen today, I'd ask my insurance company to replace it with the last PPC PB revision rather than the Macbook Pro.

Why? Just a feeling that this Rosetta isn't going to be all it's cracked up to be and I'd rather have all the apps running at a good speed than some running whoosh and others like treacle (from early reports). Add to that the potential with any Rev A and that I'd prefer to get my first Intel Mac once more universal binaries are shipping and probably with Leopard on it. I also feel that this MacBook Pro is a stopgap because they 'had' to in order to compete. I'm expecting better with the full range of portables being updated, if not at WWDC, at Macworld Paris.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. As much as these Intel Macs are tempting, I'm still a bit hesitant. I hope towards the end of the year the creases will be ironed out.

WWDC is mid '06 (I think?) but when is Macworld Paris?

Applespider
Jan 15, 2006, 12:10 PM
WWDC is mid '06 (I think?) but when is Macworld Paris?

Usually late August, early September... it's where the iMacs were introduced initially. The Keynote was cancelled there this year.

Ramsos
Jan 15, 2006, 03:16 PM
I'm ordering a 17 inch Powerbook today. I love the possibilities of the Macbook Pro but I need a new machine now that can run Final Cut Studio. I also really want that 17 inch High res screen. I know a version of Final cut studio will be out in march that will run on the macbook pro but I edit everyday. I also want all of my app's to run natively without any type of emulation. I know for sure that I will get a MacbookPro in the future, hopefully a 17 inch model and I certainly hope they bring back firewire 800 because I use it daily. So I guess a revision B Macbook Pro or a 17inch version will be in my future when it comes out. I might even consider an iMac as a second computer. The way I figure it is even If I decide to go Mackbook Pro in 6 months I can always sell the 17inch G4 and upgrade. Sure I will take a loss on it, but since I make a living using it that's not an issue. So I will be ordering a 17inch Powerbook today with a 100 gb 7200 HD with sudden motion sensor and of course Firewire 800 and Dual layer superdrive.:D

Maclaurens
Jan 15, 2006, 03:39 PM
I've got this annoying dilemma: I need a PB today, and I also need to run things like FCP, Photoshop and also without any form of translation program... I could go for the Macbook Pro, but I need it now, and I mean the software too... so when I'd buy it, I'd have to wait like 6 months (at least?) to run the greater part of more sophesticated software.

If I buy a PPC Powerbook 15" today, I'll be able to run all software, but isn't this a bit stupid to buy a PPC today when the Intel MBP is out? (And it's the same price, by the way...) And selling it after a few months is giving me quite a loss.

Also the latest revision of the Powerbook 15" seems to have some problems... are these big enough to say that it's a bad deal?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Ramsos
Jan 15, 2006, 03:46 PM
If I buy a PPC Powerbook 15" today, I'll be able to run all software, but isn't this a bit stupid to buy a PPC today when the Intel MBP is out? (And it's the same price, by the way...) And selling it after a few months is giving me quite a loss.

I don't think it's stupid if it suits your needs. That's why I'm doing it.

wasimyaqoob
Jan 15, 2006, 03:51 PM
I knew that Apple were going to make an Intel laptop yet i purchased the latest G4 PowerPC just for the sole purpose, that when firms bring out a new product its always going to have problems with it, but with the final version of the Powerbook they have ironed out all the problems so its obviously a better choice to purchase the Powerbook.

TsuaSai
Jan 15, 2006, 03:55 PM
I didn't just buy a PB but I did just by an iBook. I knew the new ones are right around the corner. But the current one fits all my needs and more. If the PB does that for you then why not. Plus if its going to be used everyday for work I would not want the hassle of things not working just the way I would want. When you need to get the job done you need to know for a fact that the machine you have can handle the job. Also if something ends up going wrong with all of them like over heating, ect. then you have to send it in and be with out. (not sure how that works for business.)

Maclaurens
Jan 15, 2006, 04:50 PM
And what about buying the 15" PB Rev. E? Is it worth it with all the reported screen and battery issues?

macmanmatty
Jan 15, 2006, 05:14 PM
Yes, More features and cheaper

Gokhan
Jan 15, 2006, 07:18 PM
yeah i cant understand the reason why people are raving about this macbook pro i maen it costst 1600 for top spec that is a con for that i could get a ppc g4 and a sony vaio god damn have ur x4 performance apple i will have my working rev d

Applesaab
Jan 15, 2006, 08:07 PM
how much faster is the mac book pro... anyone got any benchmarks?

cyberone
Jan 15, 2006, 09:31 PM
its proven hard- and software.

the few seconds I gain a day are nothing compared to a stable, proven system.

if they'd change the design of the powerbooks though and made it even more attractive, with many new essential helps and gadgets, well, then I'll sell the G4 in about a year when basic binaries softwares of photoshop and others are available.

and I'll buy my second mac.

Ramsos
Jan 15, 2006, 09:54 PM
I just placed my 17" Powerbook G4 order. Again I'm sure I will eventually get a macbook Pro, but since I use this for business I am happy with my decision.

EGT
Jan 15, 2006, 10:40 PM
if they'd change the design of the powerbooks though and made it even more attractive, with many new essential helps and gadgets, well, then I'll sell the G4 in about a year when basic binaries softwares of photoshop and others are available.

and I'll buy my second mac.

What would you change look wise about the Macbook Pro? With it supposedly being a stopgap measure and better stuff to come later on, I hope it doesn't change too much.

I don't understand why people want Apple to change it because they look great as they are. Everyone I've spoken to about them say something like, "It hasn't changed!" or "It's still grey!". (Non-Apple users :D )

SJ said himself, it looks great. Don't brain wash him to have Apple turn the gorgeous Macbook Pro into some rip off, carbon fiber, ugly assed VAIO wannabe.

More gadgets, less cosmetics! :p

dswoodley
Jan 15, 2006, 11:01 PM
My office is pretty mac-centric and we have two new people coming on who will need portables and they can't wait for the MBPs to become available. Two 15" PB G4 orders will be placed tomorrow.