Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anneminnery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2003
Washington DC
I have an OS9 laptop with a 13 inch screen. I have just purchased a 17 inch flat screen which adapts to the laptop. However, the screen display remains the same as on the 13 inch - it does not re-size to the larger 17 inch display. Any advice please?

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
you probably have video mirroring turned on. With an LCD, if it's native resolution is let's say 1280x1024, but you are sending an 800x600 image, you will get a big black border around the 800x600 pixel area.

Unless you can adjust the external monitor's resolution, you are stuck with that. What PowerBook is it?

anneminnery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2003
Washington DC
Thanks Zarathustra

Gosh, I hope I'm not stuck with that black square all around the screen on the larger monitor. That will have wasted the whole idea of purchasing the larger monitor.

I have an Apple OS9 laptop.

How do I check if I can adjust the resolutions of the flat screen?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Model Number

OS9 is the operating system. We need to know the range (iBook or Powerbook) and the model number, or at least the processor speed to be ov any help. If you have an iBook you will not be able to get spanning to work without a hack (which is only possible on the newest iBooks). If you have a Powerbook then look in the displays control panel and turn off video mirroring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.