Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom438

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
I'm trying to create a bootable usb drive of mavericks so I can install it on the new SSD i'm putting into my 2011 macbook pro.

It's a USB2.0 drive so I would think it could take a while but it's been more than an hour now, and the available capacity of the drive is not going down.

Is there a chance this could have frozen or can it just take that long?

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like it may be hung, give a little longer but the odds are its stuck

tom438

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Thanks. Should i just eject the drive and try again? Or is there a better way to create a boot drive than terminal?

Thanks

----------

Ah nevermind. It has just this second sprung back to life and completed.

Thanks anyway.

maphead

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
BOOT Mavericks - no install

Hey Mac-o-philes
PLEASE post instructions for making a bootable Mavericks USB. I have a clean install - now I want to boot from my different start up disk (the bootable USB I need to make ) so that I can restore from a CCC clone.
Repeat - Mavs is installed - I need to option a different start up disk.
Thanks!!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey Mac-o-philes
PLEASE post instructions for making a bootable Mavericks USB. I have a clean install - now I want to boot from my different start up disk (the bootable USB I need to make ) so that I can restore from a CCC clone.
Repeat - Mavs is installed - I need to option a different start up disk.
Thanks!!

If you hold down the option key when booting a screen will come up that shows all bootable drives and you select from there. Is that what you are asking?

maphead

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
Nope - I need to produce a USB with just a boot version of Mavs on it so that I can do what you suggest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.