Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Has anyone tried applying a screen protector on their ipads using the hinge method?

I have always used this method to apply them on my iphones, but I recently just ordered a Mime Ghost glass screen protector for my ipad air and wanted to ask if anyone has experience with using the hinge method on an ipad?

I know the bigger surface area and curved sides make it a bit difficult?

I saw this video, which didn't look too bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCbff_A8pGw

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I always get the top corner lined up, hold the corner with my thumb, then push the rest down.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I've done that before using the hinge method on my iphones, and nearly every time, even though I line it up straight, it always tends to be crooked as I start pushing it down.

I end up having to repeal over and sometimes dust gets underneath.

With the hinge method it's done pretty quickly with less potential for dust to get underneath.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
To avoid dust I have always gone in the bathroom and turned on all the hot water until the room is steamy. It will keep the dust out of the air. Works every time.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
It works

It works, my friend. There are a couple of methods, and that one is probably the simplest, and the easiest. Just be sure to get rid of all the dust first, or else you will get all those wretched bubbles.

Supacali

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
The bathroom method works, make sure it's not too steamy as it gets moist on the screen. Search icarez, I stumbled on this method because their product comes with all you need to have using the hinge method.

Valinor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Uhmmm why use the hinge method? You said you bought a GLASS screenprotector......
You just need to clean the screen, align the screenprotector on the screen and just press on the middle of the screen so that the adhesive automatically sticks to your screen.
You cant bend a glass screenprotector.
Just make sure there is no dust on the screen, cause once you press on the middle to make it stick, you cant pull it off again.

Edit: nevermind: just noticed that this topic is more then a month old......

Last edited:

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Uhmmm why use the hinge method? You said you bought a GLASS screenprotector......
You just need to clean the screen, align the screenprotector on the screen and just press on the middle of the screen so that the adhesive automatically sticks to your screen.
Just make sure there is no dust on the screen, cause once you press on the middle to make it stick, you cant pull it off again.

But isn't it fun to keep old threads active? Haha.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014

The hinge method doesn't mean bending the screen protector...

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
the longer you spend trying to align the protector, the higher the probability of getting dust underneath with the constant moving of your arms and protector

and with a glass, you only get one shot (usually)

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
the longer you spend trying to align the protector, the higher the probability of getting dust underneath with the constant moving of your arms and protector

and with a glass, you only get one shot (usually)

That's why you always clean the screen before you place it down. Alignment is required for making it last much longer. Get it aligned, and then place it down, preferably in a humid room.

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
That's why you always clean the screen before you place it down. Alignment is required for making it last much longer. Get it aligned, and then place it down, preferably in a humid room.

Doesn't matter if you clean it. You cant prevent all dust from landing on the screen.

I've spent ~30 mins at times trying to get dust off my screen, in a steamy bathroom, because as I swipe, some more land in.

Dust is always flying around.

The point is the longer it takes to put that screen down, the higher the probability that some dust will get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.