Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News (via Reuters) claims that Apple will unveil and launch the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 in August, with a larger 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch model to be released in September. The report also notes that Apple will produce 80 million iPhone 6 units this year, with Apple suppliers Foxconn and Largan Precision aiding with assembly and camera module production, respectively.
iphone6.jpg
An August launch of the iPhone 6 would be a different strategy for Apple, as the company has launched the past three versions of the iPhone in September or October. The news also contrasts prior reports claiming that the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will launch in September, with the 5.5-inch version not launching until later this year or early 2015 due to issues with the device's battery life and display technology.

In addition to a larger screen, Apple's next-generation iPhone is expected to include a thinner profile, a faster A8 processor, and an improved camera. Jefferies analyst Peter Misek also claimed last month that Apple is negotiating with carriers to raise the price of the iPhone 6 by $100.

Article Link: Report Claims Apple Will Launch 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 in August, Larger Model in September

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
One can only hope this is true. I'm not so sure we'll get the larger model this side of christmas, but launching the iPhone 6 in August would solve a considerable problem for me.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
The 4.7 will do me but I'll be mightily annoyed if the 5.5 has additional features above the larger screen size.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Has Apple ever released an important product in August? I can't remember any.

Edit:
All they've ever done in August-
Mac Mini spec bump - 2007
New iMac design - 2004 & 2007
New Power Mac design - 1999 & 2002

Last edited:

iKaushal

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Mumbai, India
Quite possible. It would crush current competition from 2014 flagship android handsets.

And the larger handset will sweep the phablet market totally when it is pitched against note 4 later during the year.

Dezmond

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
The sooner the better. Dying to know if they will have a high end model 4inch or I have to settle with the 4.7inch model.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
What is the point of staggering out the releases within one month? Why not just release them both at the same event in September. It is not like the iPhone is a major BTS item..

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
They're probably working feverishly to get the larger model out before the holiday shopping season. It'll be more expensive than the 4.7", so will boost both profits and margins for the quarter. I'd rather the 4.7" so if they get it out by August, I'll be happy.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
What is the point of staggering out the releases within one month? Why not just release them both at the same event in September. It is not like the iPhone is a major BTS item..

To mask the short supply of the larger model. If they're limited by the holidays, the buying frenzy and media buzz will get people who want the bigger one to get the 4.7". Very few Americans will wait until supplies increase. The 5.?" will be in stores for the Chinese holiday season and Apple will mop up.

----------

The 4.7 will do me but I'll be mightily annoyed if the 5.5 has additional features above the larger screen size.

If anything besides the price increase, it might be the only model with a sapphire screen. Yes, I said it. Apple wouldn't want to piss off customers too much with many other exclusive features, though.

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
I can't imagine Apple releasing this in August. Also if the 4.7 & 5.5 WERE ready at the same time, Apple would never release them at the same time. Thats exactly the type of marketing strategy they have always avoided. For good reason too.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I can't imagine Apple releasing this in August. Also if the 4.7 & 5.5 WERE ready at the same time, Apple would never release them at the same time. Thats exactly the type of marketing strategy they have always avoided. For good reason too.

Ok. And that reason is?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I hope its true, it would certainly solve the problem of me getting one before I got back to university in September after the summer :) altho I would prefer it if they released then both at same time, would be better to choice which one I wanted to buy.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Has Apple ever released an important product in August? I can't remember any.

Yeah. It's crazy.

So crazy it just might work.

As with all these rumors, I take this with a grain of salt. None of this is coming directly from Apple, so if Apple releases a new iPhone in October, with a 4 inch screen, improved camera and processors, and a Gorilla Glass screen, then Apple will have broken no promise to me.

My iPhone 5 is starting to feel old to me, so I'll likely replace it with whatever Apple announces (no interest in switching brands, and figuring out how to get all the integration with my other devices that I currently have with Apple). Once Apple officially announces the products and the timeline for their release, I'll decide which one is going to work best for me.

----------

Ok. And that reason is?
Obviously they want people to buy the 4.7-inch phone and then upgrade a few months later to the 5.5-inch iPhone. There's no other possible reason.

Manufacturing difficulties? Impossible!
Supply constraints? Not remotely possible!

It has to be because Apple hates its users and wants them to suffer. That's Apple's marketing strategy. Everyone says so.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
And Apple will ditch the pill-shaped camera flash in favor of the old round one.

Because the MacRumors mockups don't lie. :D

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
If this is true then Apple will probably show it at WWDC next month.

The "phablet" I'm pretty sure when people actually see it, they'll flock to it.

I know Shaquille O'Neal will be happy with his massive hands and fingers that can push 4 apps at once. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.