Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGooseyOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
I just got the Invisible Shield for my 30GB video iPod and an iPod Nano, and I'm wondering if there are any tricks to putting it on other than simply applying it to the surface of the iPod. The IS came with a whole bunch of adhesive liquid and I'm wondering what that was for. No instructions were included, so I"m guessing its really easy to put on...but I want to be very carefeul with my iPod and am wondering how or when or if to use this adhesive liquid. Thanks in advance.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
TheGooseyOne said:
I just got the Invisible Shield for my 30GB video iPod and an iPod Nano, and I'm wondering if there are any tricks to putting it on other than simply applying it to the surface of the iPod. The IS came with a whole bunch of adhesive liquid and I'm wondering what that was for. No instructions were included, so I"m guessing its really easy to put on...but I want to be very carefeul with my iPod and am wondering how or when or if to use this adhesive liquid. Thanks in advance.

I took a bowl of hot water (not boiling or anything) and put some liquid soap in there... frothed the water up a bit and put my invisible shield in there

remember which side is the sticky side so you can place it o top of your iPod... put the wet IS on your ipod... push out the visible air bubbles and wait like 7-8 hours for it to completely dry (probably sooner... but I left it over night) and then it should be fine

Oh yeah... don't push the sides down on the IS while wet... wait for it to try to push them down

john159

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2005
ok what you do is, apply the front and remove all bubbles out from under it, wait like 10 hours.. this is what i did, then stick the sides down

they will be sticky now, so one chance to do this, mine works fine now and the cover cant even be seen

taylorpc

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I just put on my IS a few days ago. I read all the horror stories, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Two things I can tell you: 1) use a microfiber, lint-free cloth! I cannot stress this enough. I thought it would be fine just using a regular dish towl, and let me tell you - more lint than you can imagine can get under the IS. I wish I would've found a lint-free cloth. It turned out just fine (in fact it looks GREAT), but it wouldn've taken far less time had I not used a regular dish towel. 2) Do not use too much water. I would go with the soap/water mixture method if I were you. Take a small bowl of water, put a drop of dish soap in there and mix it up until it is nice and sudsy. Dip your CLEAN fingers in the bowl, and with your wet fingers pull the IS off of its backing. Rub the water mixture over the back and front of your IS, and install as straight as possible to both sides.

Hope this helps!!!

TheGooseyOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
so, what exactly is the point of putting water on it? and this will nto damage my ipod? ive heard stories where water has gotten inside of it and completely jacked it up...how do you make certain that this does not happen?

BoMbikkronik

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2004
I've had my IS on since christmas, its really well aligned, however on the front top corner there are finger prints. If i were to peal it off in that region and apply water, will that fix this? Are there any other solutions?

A seperate issue, has anyone tried to use the IS in conjunction with a Contour Case or know if the case will still fit the ipod with the IS on it?

TheGooseyOne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
BoMbikkronik said:
I've had my IS on since christmas, its really well aligned, however on the front top corner there are finger prints. If i were to peal it off in that region and apply water, will that fix this? Are there any other solutions?

A seperate issue, has anyone tried to use the IS in conjunction with a Contour Case or know if the case will still fit the ipod with the IS on it?

c'mon man, don't hijack my thread...but maybe you can answer some of my questions...

a whoel bunch of "adhesive liquid" came with my IS, should I use that instead of water

lil tiger

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
I don't think you should use the adhesive liquid..

The water won't ruin it, you just have to make sure you don't dump a bowl of water on it or something. The amount of water on the IS is not much at all. I recommend wearing latex gloves (like dentists, first wash off the powdery stuff) Clean off the ipod first with a lint free cloth.

I ended up getting a few tiny cat hairs under mine, but oh well, it's not very noticeable.

Also , keep checking up on it every few minutes to make sure its drying well. Use a credit card to 'squegee' out air bubbles.

"BoMbikkronik:
A seperate issue, has anyone tried to use the IS in conjunction with a Contour Case or know if the case will still fit the ipod with the IS on it? "
-- I'm not familiar with that case, but the IS should work with any other outer type case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.