Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BagelBoy445

macrumors newbie
Original poster
So I gave it 80gb not thinking I would need more, Should I backup and do a clean reinstall and reformat the partition with bootcamp or expand the partition with disk utility?

Here is some info

Capacity : 79 GB (78,999,715,840 Bytes)

Available : 2.85 GB (2,848,141,312 Bytes)

and is it possible to resize with disk utility ?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
You would need to format the drive and start again from scratch. There is a program called CampTune that is supposed to be able to resize a Boot Camp partition, but it costs money and is not guaranteed to work.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
So I gave it 80gb not thinking I would need more, Should I backup and do a clean reinstall and reformat the partition with bootcamp or expand the partition with disk utility?

Here is some info

Capacity : 79 GB (78,999,715,840 Bytes)

Available : 2.85 GB (2,848,141,312 Bytes)

and is it possible to resize with disk utility ?

what kind of mac do you have and how much ram? you could disable hibernation and the page file (google), could free up to 20gb depending on your machine.

if you need more space then either use camptune or you have to delete and reinstall windows

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You can use WinClone to save your complete Windows environment, then delete and re-create your BootCamp partition using BootCamp Assistant to whatever new size you desire. Then restore your Windows with WinClone to your new partition.

Works great! Plus you have a reliable Windows backup program to use in the future.

https://twocanoes.com/winclone/

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Also, if you haven't done it already, you can delete the hibernation file in windows and free up a lot of space. The Hibernation file is equivalent in size to the amount of RAM in your machine. Do a google search on how to turn hibernation off. The only down side to it other than not being able to hibernate the system, is that if for some reason you run your system out of battery and haven't saved your work, you will lose it. On my Mac Mini with 16gb of RAM, after turning Hibernation off I got that 16GB back on my hard drive.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Just note that in Windows 8 only, if you remove the hibernation file, it will boot up slower and if you have a laptop, you will lose everything if you run out of battery.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Use Hypervisor feature of Windows 8 and create a virtual drive on a fast external drive.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
Just note that in Windows 8 only, if you remove the hibernation file, it will boot up slower and if you have a laptop, you will lose everything if you run out of battery.

I have not noticed mine booting up any slower after removing the Hibernation file. I knew about the battery thing, but who runs their laptop completely out of battery before putting it to sleep?

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I have not noticed mine booting up any slower after removing the Hibernation file. I knew about the battery thing, but who runs their laptop completely out of battery before putting it to sleep?

Well, Windows 8 hibernates the kernel to make it boot faster. The different on hdd's in massive compared to ssd's though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.