PDA

View Full Version : Would you eat a $41 hamburger?

King Cobra
Jan 10, 2003, 09:51 PM
http://www.nj.com/newsflash/national...Burger&&news&newsflash-national (http://www.nj.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?a0735_BC_$41Burger&&news&newsflash-national)

I searched for a similar article, or even a picture of the colassis, but both were to no avail.

"A 20-ounce burger fashioned from ultra-tender Kobe beef debuted this week at the landmark Old Homestead restaurant. At $41, it is the most expensive hamburger in the city."

rainman::|:|
Jan 10, 2003, 09:59 PM
Yes, to say i did it. I'd make them leave the mushrooms off, tho, i don't eat mushrooms. Well for the most part ;)

But i'm one of those people who would pay $300 for a bottle of Dom from a particular year, for a special celebration. A lot of people would disagree with that.

You only live once :)

pnw

cr2sh
Jan 10, 2003, 10:14 PM
As some of you might know I was in London for New Years, while I was over I stayed in the Grosvenor House. Room service featured a hamburger that cost £25.00, at a current exchange rate of $1.65 to the unit, that's $41.25... I'll have you know I ate 3 of them while I was there (not to mention several $50 club sandwiches).

runningman
Jan 11, 2003, 12:35 AM
But just remember
"It's not about the price"
I call B.S. on that one

cr2sh
Jan 11, 2003, 12:47 AM
You're right.. the first night the bun was actually soggy, but other nights they were really good sanchwiches (although not $41 good).
Visit http://www.sininc.org for full photos and video of the trip! Including a 28second video of me walking from one end of our apartment to the other. :D

moby1
Jan 11, 2003, 01:20 AM
Went to McDonalds in Oslo some years ago.

I ordered a burger, fries & drink. It was over $25. It's probably more now.

I hate McDonalds & I never go there in U.S. but for some reason I love going there in when in foreign cities.

mac15
Jan 11, 2003, 07:24 AM
Well, a $41 hamburger, what is america coming to, you already eat to much junk food crap compared to any other country on ths earth and now your going to get ripped off in the process. USA USA USA :P

wdlove
Jan 11, 2003, 11:14 AM
I would say that decadent is the word for a $41 hamburger!

Approx
Jan 11, 2003, 11:39 AM
I am from Norway, a 60 minutes drive from oslo and that was expencive.
And we have mac donalds here to.

The bigest menu = 15$ i think i never eat on mac´d
Id i am out on the town i go to a itelian pizza place or a little kebab store.

Jan 11, 2003, 01:40 PM
A lot of people go to expensive restaraunts and get food that they could have found cheaper, because of the dining experience and quality of the ingredients. It's not getting ripped off if someone pays it willingly. My favorite restaraunt here in Des Moines is called Cafe Chat Noir, and it's very easy to spend $50-75 for a light dinner there per person. That's without even touching the wine list.

i never feel like i got "ripped off" when i go eat there. i enjoy myself all night, the check notwithstanding.

:)
pnw

mymemory
Jan 11, 2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by moby1
Went to McDonalds in Oslo some years ago.

I ordered a burger, fries & drink. It was over $25. It's probably more now.

I hate McDonalds & I never go there in U.S. but for some reason I love going there in when in foreign cities.

May be because (at list Mac Donlads) uses cleaner facilities in other countries.

I would pay $41 for a burger, of course may be once a year just to have experience, that is it.

Kethoticus
Jan 11, 2003, 06:36 PM
Under normal circumstances, no. But it depends on how hungry I was.

Computer_Phreak
Jan 11, 2003, 08:32 PM
roflmao:

"Kobe beef, imported from Japan, comes from cattle raised on beer and massaged daily to make the meat soft and succulent. "

medea
Jan 11, 2003, 08:42 PM
no I try not to eat beef, or pork for that matter.
plenty of seafood and chicken though....

springscansing
Jan 12, 2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by mac15
Well, a $41 hamburger, what is america coming to, you already eat to much junk food crap compared to any other country on ths earth and now your going to get ripped off in the process. USA USA USA :P

Oh shut up for god sakes. I do not think one hamburger is a good reason to attack a whole country, joking or not. What the heck have you people given the world? A show and a movie that both have the word Crocodile in their names?

How's the bandwidth limit over there?

springscansing
Jan 12, 2003, 12:08 AM
And for the record... I'd much rather visit a good Chinese buffet in the city for $15. Or Thai food... mmm...

mac15
Jan 12, 2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by springscansing What the heck have you people given the world?[/B]

Well , I'd like to ask you the same question, the good ol US of A has bought the rest of the world fear, famine and other horrifying things, you are the most arrogent people in the world, at the moment, you say your trying to bring peace to world, ha whatever. You couldn't find Bin Ladin so to look big you have to go get Saddam.

I say again USA USA USA

Jan 12, 2003, 03:26 AM
mac15, i've agreed wholeheartedly with what you've said in other threads on this subject, but do shut up. this is not the place for political ranting. this is a thread about hamburgers. The question is whether or not you would buy this burger, obviously you would not. Moving right along...

pnw

springscansing
Jan 12, 2003, 03:36 AM

Well , I'd like to ask you the same question, the good ol US of A has bought the rest of the world fear, famine and other horrifying things, you are the most arrogent people in the world, at the moment, you say your trying to bring peace to world, ha whatever. You couldn't find Bin Ladin so to look big you have to go get Saddam.

I say again USA USA USA

Hey, I 100% agree there you dumb ****. I'm no crazy patriot. We mostly are arrogant *******s. But for you to insult the US over a hamburger... I mean, that just makes you look like the *******.

If it wasn't for the US, there'd be no macs. :-)

mac15
Jan 12, 2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by springscansing
If it wasn't for the US, there'd be no macs. :-)

Enough said, sorry If I stepped on toes

King Cobra
Jan 12, 2003, 03:19 PM
>(springscansing) Oh shut up [mac15] for god sakes. I do not think one hamburger is a good reason to attack a whole country, joking or not. What the heck have you people given the world? A show and a movie that both have the word Crocodile in their names?

Even though he was joking, scansing, I think he meant that in a positive way. Just because he uses the Australian flag as his avatar, it doesn't mean he hates all other countries.

Judging by how you replied, however, it didn't sound like you meant to imply any positive comical aspect. How do you think he feels?

>(mac15) Well, a $41 hamburger, what is america coming to you already eat to much junk food crap compared to any other country on ths earth

The hamburger I wanted to have discussed was not for the intent of McDonalds, or some other place. There was a report on NBC, or CBS (I don't remember exactly) discussing the hamburger, and the hamburger is only presented in NYC.

>and now your going to get ripped off in the process. USA USA USA :P

Not ripped off. According to the TV report, those who commented on the hamburger would buy it again. The people dedicated to perfecting the colassis mentioned they were not doing this to rip off people, but to make people "get their money's worth". One of the comments about why $41 was it's better than a $40 hamburger. :p

>(springscansing) Hey, I 100% agree there you [mac15]. I'm no crazy patriot. We mostly are arrogant *******s. But for you to insult the US over a hamburger... I mean, that just makes you look like the *******.

I have this rule that goes "Anyone who is or tries to look like an ******* is not allowed to be given a responsibility." mac15, i.e. chris, is an administrator at FunMac.com and manages the site quite well. If you don't trust me, check out the site and register, if you would like.

Again, I don't think chris meant this as an insult, except in a comical fashion.

But let's get back to the meat at hand. :cool:

mac15
Jan 12, 2003, 04:10 PM
Cheers Cobra I think you summed up what I meant there very well, I never really meant to insult the US, it was more a comical gesture to pic at your foibles.

redAPPLE
Jan 12, 2003, 04:30 PM

I say again USA USA USA

hey mac15. u forgot somethin'. america gave us cameron diaz... yeah baby...

pertaining to that bin laden (not bin ladin ;) ) and saddam story...

sad but true, i guess. (ok. let's move on)

and back to the topic, i cannot imagine eating a 41 $ burger.

i would pay for such a burger if i would get an orgasm-like feeling, eating it... :D

Hemingray
Jan 12, 2003, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I would, just to say I'd tried it. :D I love "gourmet" hamburgers but I only eat maybe three or four a year (which is a good thing. ;) )

I've cut down a LOT on junk/fast food, and it's definitely helped my weight.

Roger1
Jan 12, 2003, 05:35 PM
I would eat a $41 burger, provided someone bought it for me :D Oh, I'd want a side order of onion rings to go with it, if you don't mind:D :D

amalling
Jan 12, 2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE

i would pay for such a burger if i would get an orgasm-like feeling, eating it... :D

Right on!!:p

guifa
Jan 12, 2003, 09:46 PM
Perhaps if ALL places charged $41 dollars we wouldn't have idiots suing corporations for "making them fat". Well, that or they'd be suing for about eight times as much money.

Jan 13, 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by guifa
Perhaps if ALL places charged $41 dollars we wouldn't have idiots suing corporations for "making them fat". Well, that or they'd be suing for about eight times as much money.

Touché. that whole thing is a joke. Tho i'm betting a burger as decadent as this is the equivalent of 10 mcburgers :)

pnw

cyks
Jan 13, 2003, 01:44 AM
I'd gladly try it- always looking for a good burger :)
Although it'd be hard pressed to top what I would already consider to be the best burger in the world (oddly enough also in NYC, but only $5 or so).

On a side note- I think both the US and Australia have their own faults... Americans think we are the best and have to put our nose in everyone elses business and play parent... and Australians- well, they think Yahoo Serious is funny :D

chLoAcUoRlEaNte
Jan 13, 2003, 09:57 AM
im broke, i couldnt afford a hamburger that costs that much...

Sun Baked
Jan 13, 2003, 10:09 AM
I'd eat it in a heartbeat...

However, they'd have to chase me down to make me pay for one.

King Cobra
Jan 13, 2003, 05:27 PM
>(guifa) Perhaps if ALL places charged $41 dollars we wouldn't have idiots suing corporations for "making them fat". Well, that or they'd be suing for about eight times as much money.

If that happened with this type of hamburger, according to what I've read and seen on TV, people would sign the suing papers while having another burger. :p

>(SB) I'd eat it in a heartbeat...

>However, they'd have to chase me down to make me pay for one.

Hah! Best response.

I agree with the cost factor, though. $41 does seem like a bit much, even if it does use rare ingrediants.

[Warning: A little sad...]
But look at it this way. People would only offer expensive foods for people to eat, not to freak out on the price. People in Asia would gladly pay $150 to eat the meat in shark fins, which is considered a delicacy there, but very disturbing for many of us to think about.
[/warning over]

Remember, products are only given a hefty price tag for quality and for something people will appreciate. Why do you think many of us use Apple? :cool:

gotohamish
Jan 15, 2003, 11:44 AM
I didn't go in, but the McDonalds in Rekjavik, Iceland, was about $15 for a happy meal.

Actually, why is this relavent, McDonalds are not Hamburgers!

And to those guys who stayed at the Grovesnor House- what were you doing getting room service in a city with some of the best restaurants in the world? Did you have hookers there or something. Wow.

For those in London, try Joe Allen, Exeter Street, Covent Garden (just off The Strand) for the hamburger, it's not on the menu, you need to ask for it - but man! Oh, wow. And only £8.00.

It rivals (beats?) any US burger, closely contending with the burger at Fanelli's, Prince Street, NYNY.

cr2sh
Jan 15, 2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by gotohamish
And to those guys who stayed at the Grovesnor House- what were you doing getting room service in a city with some of the best restaurants in the world?

Late night snacks! The Concierge said little else would be open past midnight! On a side note, I've been drinking English Breakfast tea since I got back... it's so much better than coffee. :)

Sun Baked
Jan 15, 2003, 12:03 PM
They had the interview with the chef of the restaurant and asked him how he can justify the $41 cost for the burger.

He said the burger is $40 for the meat and $1 for the bun.

Even at $41 bucks, they are selling well above expectations - including a takeout order for 200 to go. :eek:

But, the beef is not really 100% Japanese meat it is the US-raised Kobe beef, raised the same way as the Japanese but a lot less expensive for us here in the states - and you still end up with the richly marbleized meat (ie 20-25% fat).

This meat is definitely not the 95% lean McTasteless burger that you can buy for $1 at thousands of locations in the US.

gotohamish
Jan 15, 2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh

Late night snacks! The Concierge said little else would be open past midnight! On a side note, I've been drinking English Breakfast tea since I got back... it's so much better than coffee. :)

Good to hear you like our tea! I hope I didn't offend with my comments, and that you enjoyed your stay in our wonderful capital.

HINT: try Edinburgh next time. Beautiful!

cr2sh
Jan 15, 2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by gotohamish
Good to hear you like our tea! I hope I didn't offend with my comments, and that you enjoyed your stay in our wonderful capital.
HINT: try Edinburgh next time. Beautiful!

Oh, you didn't offend me at all. I had an amazing time in London and we're already planning our return trip next year! I can't wait, I adore it so... :) Until then I need to find a source for sugar by the lump. :)

bousozoku
Jan 16, 2003, 07:33 PM
I was in Kobe in 1985 and had an 8 ounce (or thereabouts) steak. It was quite large compared to my usual choice. My friend's father hired his friend's French restaurant for the evening and there were about eight of us enjoying such a rare treat. Kobe beef was only about $75 per pound then.

It was quite extravagant in any case, and quite delicious as well. :)