Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
For her 89th b-day I'm replacing my Mom's eMac with new mac mini. Do you know if the Dell E2014H monitor is compatible (it should be, right?). And, if the Sound Bar AC511 is also.

link to monitor http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=320-9775

The Sound Bar AC511 (that pairs with the monitor) is USB powered. And there is no other connection (like an audio jack). So, I don't know if this will work with a mini. The documentation only mentions Window Systems in the compatibility list.

I am also looking at ViewSonic as they have built in speakers, but I am not sure if they will suffice. The speakers do not need to have any fidelity, but the mini speaker is not loud enough. At least my 2010 mini isn't. The reason for "built in" speakers is space consideration.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Monitor is fine, the Mini comes with an HDMI > DVI adapter so that's all you'll need there.

As for the sound bar, I'm not sure - I use the AX510 model but that's not USB, normal audio plug. I suspect the AC511 will work though.

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Thx!! BTW: I posted a question about Monitors for Mac Mini in the Mac Peripherals forum, if interested…..deals with resolutions.

Klack3er

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
Germany
And did you already find out if the Soundbar works with Mac OS? Im interested in replacing my Thunderbolt Display with a Dell UP2414Q + the AC 511 Soundbar as well.

Would be great if you could post your result if the Soundbar works or not? =)

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
All, I appreciate you advice. FYI, I ended up buying different monitor (not Dell)...

Klack3er

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
Germany
Okay, no problem! Still thx for your answer! i ordered the Dell display + soundbar today, so we will know soon if it all works ;)

Klack3er

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2014
Germany
Any news?

Hey yes! I have the display and the soundbar some time now and both work just fine :) with 10.9.3 + the 4k dell display everything looks super nice and the colors are pretty great too! The soundbar works right out of the box as well, i just needed to plug it into my display and select it as the audio source in the os x settings. the sound quality is totally fine, i would say even more 'voluminous' then the thunderbolt display from apple that i used before. of course its no high end speaker like a dolby system or expensive pc speaker, but i didnt want some extra speakers + cables on my desk just for watching some movies, tv episodes or youtube while working on my mac. and for that the soundbar is absolutely perfect and can get very loud if u want it to!

i would definitely buy the display + soundbar again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.