Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmywu7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2014
I recently dropped my iPad 4th Generation on the ground and cracked the front. I went to repair it myself because 300-350 dollars which is WAY to expensive to replace a screen. When I finished my repair and closed the iPad, there was a dark dim on one side of the iPad and the other side is completely fine. The picture below shows a perfect example, one side is bright, the other is dimmed. BTW, it may seem like it was a bad picture, but I can assure you, it is actually very accurate of what is happening. I was wondering if anyone could help me. Did I miss a step? Please don't tell me to "get it fixed" because it cost more than a regular iPad which, I'm guessing, is pretty expensive in general to any average consumer, like me. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 97

thegreati

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
If a LCD replacement does not resolve this. Unfortunately you damaged the back light converter IC chip. There are companies out there than will replace this for you for roughly $80-100. They will take around a week or 2 and can be sketchy at times.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.