Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
What ever happened to Jhymn? I need to use some of my music purchased on the iTunes store for a little video I'm editing.

And please don't lecture me about EULA or DRM, they're home videos.

I know one can burn CDs and re-rip them, but that results in quality loss during conversion. Are there any Jhymn replacements?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
JHymn still works, as long as you haven't upgraded to iTunes 6 or bought anything in iTunes 6 yet. Otherwise, Apple has changed the authentication routines. And as far as I'm aware, there's no other DRM-breaking solution for iTMS tracks.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
yeah, they've said that they've been working on it for a while, but i don't really see it happening for a long time still, if ever if they haven't cracked it by now.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
rockthecasbah said:
yeah, they've said that they've been working on it for a while, but i don't really see it happening for a long time still, if ever if they haven't cracked it by now.
That's what I'm worried about.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
jimthorn said:
In truth, if you burn to CD and re-rip as high bitrate MP3 (or AIFF), there will not be a noticeable change in quality.

agreed. shouldn't be a problem if it's for a home video - or is this a broadcast-quality home video? ;)

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
If you use the following process there shouldn't be any loss in quality (compared to the original download)

AAC > burned to CD > ripped in AIFF

The AIFF's will use a lot of space, and not really suitable for iPods (they will drain the iPods battery 10 times as fast)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
frankblundt said:
agreed. shouldn't be a problem if it's for a home video - or is this a broadcast-quality home video? ;)
Well.... the higher the quality the better. I can be picky;).

TMA and others- thanks, but i'm looking for a... i guess one might say sustainable solution. I don't like burning up blanks every time I want to use an audio file. I'm really just looking for a software solution, and was wondering if Jhymn has been updated without my knowledge.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
betbest1 said:
You could use CD-RWs.
To build off of this, you wipe the CD-RW in Disk Utility, click burn in iTunes, and it will burn to the CD-RW like it where a normal CD. Which it is. Then open the CD up in the Finder and drag your songs into iTunes. This will keep the songs in the AIFF format.

Lather, rinse, repeat up to 1000 times (life-span of CD-RW under ideal circumstances)

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Mechcozmo said:
To build off of this, you wipe the CD-RW in Disk Utility, click burn in iTunes, and it will burn to the CD-RW like it where a normal CD. Which it is. Then open the CD up in the Finder and drag your songs into iTunes. This will keep the songs in the AIFF format.

Lather, rinse, repeat up to 1000 times (life-span of CD-RW under ideal circumstances)

But then you have duplicates in iTunes do you not? One of the original file, then one of the new AIFF format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.