Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Could we please get some more meassures to keep spam bots out of the forum? It seems 25% of all new posts are spam posts at the moment, which is WAY too high a number!

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
We constantly review our methods for preventing spam, just as spammers constantly review their methods for getting around our restrictions. There was an unusual amount of spam in the last couple of hours, but usually the spam rate is much, much lower.

You, and other members, can help us by reporting spam posts using the report post feature. While we look out for spam ourselves, we don't have the resources to review every post, so we always appreciate reports. I just banned a spammer who had made 20 threads in quick succession, but we only got one report. Sometimes spam is never reported at all.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Sometime I run into the timelimit for posting ... "Please wait x seconds for the next posting"

Can we remove that for spam reporting ?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Sometime I run into the timelimit for posting ... "Please wait x seconds for the next posting"

Removing the time limit on reporting spam would be helpful for me too. I don't mind helping by reporting spam, and occasionally I'll see a wave of it and go out of my way to open the spam posts so I can report it.

Though perhaps the time limit on spam reports should be removed only after a member has read a spam report FAQ. For instance - it only finally occurred to me that I probably don't have to track down each post by a particular spam poster to report. I suspect the Mods do that themselves. There may other ways that us spam reporters can be more efficient.

I for one don't find the level of spam objectionable. I do see the occasional waves of course. But I just do my best to help out by reporting those that I find.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's my understanding that if you report one spam under a particular username, all the other spams under that username will be dealt with....so it's not necessary to report multiple spams by the same username, just one.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's my understanding that if you report one spam under a particular username, all the other spams under that username will be dealt with....so it's not necessary to report multiple spams by the same username, just one.

This would be an accurate statement.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That is correct. You only need to report one post if the suspected spammer has multiple posts.

The moderation team typically keeps an eye out for spam and with the members help in reporting spam, we generally keep on topic of things. There may be times when a few seem to slip through, so report them and we'll jump on them as quickly as possible.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I always report spam when I see it and urge all members to do the same. After all, there are only a few moderators in comparison to the amount of member here and they can't all be online at the same time.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand

It would be great if we could remove that limit, but unfortunately it's a limitation of the software we're using that we can't easily change. Thanks for your reports though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.