PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Problems... (Real Important)

Ensign Paris
Jan 15, 2006, 02:11 AM
Hello,

Firstly I will make it publically aware that I am extreamly angry currently, and very tired. I have been up for 36 hours now trying to fix my Powerbook in time to process my university application. That, and both my Nano and Airport Express have died this week. Highly annoying, and I'm sorry Apple, I've never said this before but your quality of build in the UK recently has been pityful. I might even have to move Intel (tic).

This all started with the battery update that was released over the last week. I applied this as my Powerbook only ever has supported 2 hours of battery life, and more recently only an hour. So with this update installed a new problems occurs, no more battery life, but a computer that dies when the life gets anywhere near 20minutes remaining.

This is where the fun starts, now my computer refuses to boot up past the Grey Apple and the circular progress bar. I can boot into Single-User-Command-like-thing, fsck can't do anything, diskutil hangs and if i tell the mac to boot (logout) it says:

IOATABlockStorageDriver::sCompleteZeroBlockTransfer - WARNING, completing a zero block transfer

and this just scrolls down the screen forever. I have tried everything I can think of except 3rd party disk repair utilities. Anybody any ideas?

This Powerbook has also had its Logic Board replaced many times.

Please help, I need access to files TODAY that are stored in a Filemaker database, so I can send of my final and complete University application, deadline, 6pm this evening.

Ensign

Powerbook 15" FW800 1.5ghz Mac OS X (10.4.3)

slooksterPSV
Jan 15, 2006, 02:52 AM
Do you have access to another mac? If so I'd say boot it up in target disk mode, when booting up hold down the T key and connect the Powerbook up to another Mac via Firewire. This is about the only way you will be able to get data off of it unless you do an archive and restore of the OS which may or may not work. All you need is another Mac with at least 10.2 Jaguar on it and Firewire.

iEdd
Jan 15, 2006, 03:08 AM
Or if you don't have another mac, take it to the apple store and ask if you can use one of their macs for target disc mode. Offer to buy iLife or iWork if they let you get your file or something.

slooksterPSV
Jan 15, 2006, 03:15 AM
Or if you don't have another mac, take it to the apple store and ask if you can use one of their macs for target disc mode. Offer to buy iLife or iWork if they let you get your file or something.
Oh yeah and take a burnable CD and burn the file(s) you need.

Ensign Paris
Jan 25, 2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks, sorry haven't slept for about 48 hours, have been on a music mission, and also popped to an Apple store and maxed out a new Mac Mini, which is pretty cool, just with the mighty mouse lived up to its name, and became wireless. Which I would consider truely mighty.

Will try Firewire when I can find a Firewire cable in my house. Speak soon.
E