Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rohopish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Hey there everybody!

I bought my first Mac about 3-4 months ago but never really got around to working with CD-RW's in OS X Tiger. I am confused as to how I can create a CD-RW in Tiger that I can add more files later on if I want or delete selected files. In Windows XP, I did it through a third-party program like Nero where you could delete and add to your heart's content. This is all I need to know:

How exactly do I burn some files onto a CD-RW so I can add more later?

and

How do I add those files later on?

and

How do I remove a file if I need to (i.e. for space or if I don't need it anymore)?

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this! I've gone to numerous sites and they talk about the disk utility and such, but I cannot understand half of what they say. Does anyone know a step-bystep approach or atleast a site that can show me how to work with CD-RW's on a mac? Thank you so much.

Bob

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
With Nero, were you using a special session setting or something...?

I use CD-RW's with Tiger. I just drag my files to it (after it appears on the desktop), open it up and click burn. When I want to reuse it, I erase it in Disk Utility.

The Finder doesn't have multisession burning, sorry.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I think what you're referencing is UDF packet writing software, which allows you to treat a CD-RW like it was any other removable disc, copying, moving, and deleting files "normally." I don't believe there are any UDF packet writers for OS X.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Roxio Toast will allow you to burn multi-session CD-R/RWs, but can't do it through the Finder. There is no UDF packet-writing software for the Mac, as Cless said. So, with Toast, you'll be able to add files, but if you want to remove a file, you'll have to erase the CD-RW and rewrite.

The "workaround" is to keep a 'burn folder' on your desktop (or where ever you'd like). You can add/remove files to it, then burn/reburn its contents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.