PDA

View Full Version : Replacing ibook hard drive

jynx21
Jan 15, 2006, 12:32 PM
Hi

I'm just about to embark upon changing a faulty hard drive in my laptop. I'm fairly confident i can do it but if anyone knows of any sites or step by step guides it would be most appreciated.

California
Jan 15, 2006, 12:35 PM
Hi

I'm just about to embark upon changing a faulty hard drive in my laptop. I'm fairly confident i can do it but if anyone knows of any sites or step by step guides it would be most appreciated.

PBFIXIT.COM has diagrams and even print-outs to tape your screws to when you take the ibook apart.

Go slow. I wanted to do this to my 14" iBook but got scared when one screw near the battery compartment was too tight and I was afraid of stripping it.

jynx21
Jan 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
Hey thanks, this looks like a pretty straight forward guide to follow which is gonna save me 150. Just hope i don't runi inot any problems. If anyone who has done this b4 and has some hot tips i'd love to hear em.

Thanxs

Redline13
Jan 15, 2006, 01:22 PM
I upgraded the HDD on a friends older ibook and I used the guides at www.pbfixit.com also. They have screw by screw guides on taking it apart. I also found it very useful to tape the screws to the spots provided on the guides so there was no questions as to where they went. The job is totally manageable and the best advice I can give you is go slow and don't force anything.

JCT
Jan 15, 2006, 01:38 PM
I agree with redline, be sure to print out the screw guide and put double-sided tape on the lists of screws. That made it very easy.

Be sure that you have the proper size screwdrivers and apply signficant pressure while turning the screwdriver slowly --- several of them seemed like they would strip very easily. Beware of the screws in the battery compartment, they are somewhat difficult to access and very tight.

This is a very worthwhile project -- I took our lab iBook (that no one wanted to use because of the small, old harddrive and simple CD-ROM) and swapped in a better HDD and optical drive, now the students fight over it.

good luck,

JT

wiz7dome
Jan 15, 2006, 01:44 PM
I've done this type of iBook surgery two times. My advice is to take your time. I changed my Cd-drive and then my hard drive at a later date. Be VERY, VERY, VERY careful of the trackpad cable. I broke mine on the second surgery, but not during the part that the PBfixit guide cautions about. Be sure to pay attention to the tab that holds the airport card in place. I placed it in the wrong holes and it pushed the trackpad "connection" right off the board. Needless to say I now use a wireless mouse:p

Just take your time a be patent. Let us know how it goes.

jynx21
Jan 18, 2006, 04:43 AM
Hey all

Thanks for all your advice. I have succesfully managed to replace the hard drive with no problems.....Yahoo!!! however now its installed do i need to do anything before i upload my operating system again?

Thanx

mad jew
Jan 18, 2006, 04:52 AM
Well done. :)

Start up from the OSX disk by holding C. You'll probably then need to format the drive (Mac OS Extended (journaled) is preferable) from Disk Utility in the Installer menu (from memory). Until then, I don't think OSX will let you install itself.

jynx21
Jan 18, 2006, 04:56 AM
hey thanx for the help. i'll do that now and should soon be operational again :)

jynx21
Jan 18, 2006, 10:28 AM
Hey

All was going well till i booted my mac up. I was met with a screen that has 2 diagrams on it, 1 and 2 the first one has something to do with inserting batteries i think and the second one has a flashing red dot on it. sorry for the poor description but if anyone has any idea what these are would be much appreciated.

Thanks

jynx21
Jan 18, 2006, 11:00 AM
hey no worries..... i hadn't fitted the track pad back correctly and the icon was alerting me to this. all sorted now. thanks for all your help