Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hungx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
After updating to the latest version of Mavericks, I find that Find My Mac has been turned off in Settings. I cannot turn it back on since it says that it needs a recovery partition. I then boot my Mac into the recovery partition and it needs the redownload the required software. After the download is finished, it loads the recovery options and I restart my Mac. I still can't turn on Find My Mac. Is anyone else having this issue? My Mac came with Mavericks preinstalled, and Find My Mac was working before.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I can't seem to turn mine on. I think the update deleted my recovery partition, and it deletes it again when I redownload it.

i couldn't turn on 'find my mac' (which i guess 10.9.3 turned off); was told to turn on 'wake for network access' in energy saver pref pane...which WAS on.

turned it off, then on. no change...

finally... i deleted both com.apple.systempreferences.plist files in my user library then force-quit finder. and 'find my mac' is back on...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
After updating to the latest version of Mavericks, I find that Find My Mac has been turned off in Settings. I cannot turn it back on since it says that it needs a recovery partition. I then boot my Mac into the recovery partition and it needs the redownload the required software. After the download is finished, it loads the recovery options and I restart my Mac. I still can't turn on Find My Mac. Is anyone else having this issue? My Mac came with Mavericks preinstalled, and Find My Mac was working before.

Are you sure you have a recovery partition? Enter "diskutil list" (without the quotes) into Terminal and post the output here so we can take a look.

hungx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Are you sure you have a recovery partition? Enter "diskutil list" (without the quotes) into Terminal and post the output here so we can take a look.

That's odd. There is a recovery partition.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.40.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 9.40.17 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 177

hungx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
Yep... sure enough. :confused:

Maybe try completely removing the iCloud account from System Prefs and try readding it?

I just tried that. Still doesn't work and says that I need a recovery partition in order to use Find My Mac. I don't think the problem is with iCloud but with Mavericks. Every time I boot into the recovery partition, it needs to redownload it. I might just wait for the next update and see it that fixes it.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm finding that after I turn it back on, it hides my Users and Users/Share folders too. I can fix the folders umpteen times and reboot and it's fine. Turn on "Find My Mac" and it all disappears again.

Every time I fix the hidden folders, it turns off the Find My Mac function.

I'm considering doing a full backup, and then reinstalling the full 10.9.3 to an completely repartitioned/blank drive to see if that cures it. If not, I can just restore my backup. If it fixes it I'll have a couple of busy days re-installing my apps and data.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm finding that after I turn it back on, it hides my Users and Users/Share folders too. I can fix the folders umpteen times and reboot and it's fine. Turn on "Find My Mac" and it all disappears again.

Every time I fix the hidden folders, it turns off the Find My Mac function.

I'm considering doing a full backup, and then reinstalling the full 10.9.3 to an completely repartitioned/blank drive to see if that cures it. If not, I can just restore my backup. If it fixes it I'll have a couple of busy days re-installing my apps and data.

don't think that's gonna work (see the other thread about 'users folder now hidden?").

this whole issue needs an actual, official fix........

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
don't think that's gonna work (see the other thread about 'users folder now hidden?").

this whole issue needs an actual, official fix........

Yes, I know. I'm active in the other thread too. I've already submitted a bug report to Apple (16942924).

I'm recommending that everyone else jump on the bug report band wagon to get Apple's attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.