Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toadinthehole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I have a rev c Imac g5 (isight) and the built in isight is useless for anything but ichat av, i thought about doing video podcasts or using it as an input source for imovie HD but i discovered when it arrived that it is not available as an input, however in the new intel macs (both the macbook and iMac) introduced at MWSF, Apple's website states that the isight can be used for video podcasts and iMovie HD, i wonder is it iLife 06 that enables the isight to be used as a input device into imovie or is it a hardware feature that enables the isight to be used in this way? (i have iLife 05' that came with my iMac) :)

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
You need a firewaire camera, the new iSight that is built in is USB. So it will not work.

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
The iSight on my Rev. C iMac can be used with iMovie. iMovie from iLife06 anyway. Never tried it with '05.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
mrfrosty said:
The iSight on my Rev. C iMac can be used with iMovie. iMovie from iLife06 anyway. Never tried it with '05.

It can be done with iLife '05.
You have to attach a FW camera temporarily when starting iMovie.
iMovie "sees" both cameras.... Disconnect the external camera, and you can use the built-in iSight.

I know this is not a very handy little workaround, but it does work. :)

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Toadinthehole said:
I have a rev c Imac g5 (isight) and the built in isight is useless for anything but ichat av, i thought about doing video podcasts or using it as an input source for imovie HD but i discovered when it arrived that it is not available as an input, however in the new intel macs (both the macbook and iMac) introduced at MWSF, Apple's website states that the isight can be used for video podcasts and iMovie HD, i wonder is it iLife 06 that enables the isight to be used as a input device into imovie or is it a hardware feature that enables the isight to be used in this way? (i have iLife 05' that came with my iMac) :)

Since no one has answered your question directly, it is indeed iLife '06 that enables the built-in iSight to be recognized by iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.