Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I know there has been talk on how the iBook G4's seem to get dirty with use and people are trying to clean them and get them back to their nice white state. Well, I just experimented and after using a new, clean, white eraser... the colouring comes right off and it is just like new. Make sure you do a thorough job and don't get the eraser bits in the keyboard by maybe rubbing it with the keyboard vertical and you are fine. Try it and see if it works. Probably for a person who wants something to try before they go and spend money on iKlear or Icecreme

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
haiggy said:
Hey,

I know there has been talk on how the iBook G4's seem to get dirty with use and people are trying to clean them and get them back to their nice white state. Well, I just experimented and after using a new, clean, white eraser... the colouring comes right off and it is just like new. Make sure you do a thorough job and don't get the eraser bits in the keyboard by maybe rubbing it with the keyboard vertical and you are fine. Try it and see if it works. Probably for a person who wants something to try before they go and spend money on iKlear or Icecreme

I like the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. However, my iBook hasn't gotten that dirty yet as I don't really use it that much. I only use it in school for the most part because i use my Mac mini at home.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Nice hint. However I prefer to use iKlear and a microfiber cloth to polish the finish.

Even though Mr Clean Magic Eraser works great for the palm rest be careful on the keyboard it takes the letters right off.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
PlastX (meant for plastic parts on cars and boats) works great and is relatively cheap at any auto parts store.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I've used a slightly dish soapy washcloth wrung out as much as possible and the "dirty" palms rests come clean. Also works on the screen.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
don't use white erasers on the outer shell! i learned that lesson the hard way.. :(

anyways, i find the combination of a mr. clean magic eraser and some isopropyl alcohol to work quite well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.