Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hi all, hoping you might share some iMovie advice.

I'm attempting to downgrade iMovie from version 8 to version 6. I currently have version 8 installed in Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I have an installer for iMovie 6.

I thought I'd seek your advice before proceeding.

I don't mind getting rid of version 8 if that is necessary. I have it on an install disk should I change my mind.

Thanks for any suggestions you have on how I should install iMovie 6, appreciate it.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Any reason why you wish to go back?

Yes, there is a reason. :)

I solved this one, by dumping all the files I could find for iMovie 8, and then running the installer for iMovie 6. Not sure if that was necessary, but it worked so I'm all set now.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You'll need to verify that iMovie 06 will run well on whatever version of the OS you have now. Even if it runs, "well" is the key word. And think about the future. Will you want to update to the next OS version when it comes out? And the next?

My suggestion: buy an external hard drive, install Snow Leopard and any other software that you like to use from back then (including anything that runs in Rosetta), then boot into that drive when you want to work with iMovie 06. That way you'll have no issues upgrading your Mac to new OSs as they come out (won't have to worry about iMovie 06 breaking). I have this exact setup and it works great. I needed a few programs that run in Rosetta so I needed to retain a Snow Leopard boot drive.

Otherwise, I'd have much reservation about hoping that iMovie 06 would keep working with every software update of OS X.

For what it's worth: I missed '06 so much that it motivated me to try FCP X instead of trying to get by on '08-11. FCP X is kind of like '06 only with considerably more power. You might want to get the trial of that and see what you think. If you edit a fair amount of video, you might find the cost worth it.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Otherwise, I'd have much reservation about hoping that iMovie 06 would keep working with every software update of OS X.

I use your advice, but in reverse. I use Snow Leopard 95% of the time, and have Mavericks in a partition for those rare times I need it. I'm planning to switch to Mavericks in version 10.9.38. :)

For what it's worth: I missed '06 so much that it motivated me to try FCP X instead of trying to get by on '08-11. FCP X is kind of like '06 only with considerably more power. You might want to get the trial of that and see what you think. If you edit a fair amount of video, you might find the cost worth it.

Thanks for this advice, sounds good, I will check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.