Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReL1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Hello everybody,

Next week i will get my new 1TB external usb3 HD.

I was wondering,
is it possible to make auto-backup of my dropbox+googleDrive to the time-machine drive?

Will it make any problems/bugs when the time comes and ill need my time-machine rescue?

And last but not least, do you recommend other app/software for the task i described?

Thank you!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
As long as your dropbox folder is synced to the internet. Time Machine will automatically backup all the files for you. Same as google drive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can exclude dropbox/google drive from Time Machine and if you don't automatically exclude it, then it will be included.

If you use TM and then do a restore, those directories may be out of sync or old. I'm not sure what dropbox may do, such as push them to your computers as new.

There's really no reason to back them up, because they're already synchronized on other computers and/or servers.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
because they're already synchronized on other computers and/or servers.

I think this is the reason why we need a time machine backup, all dropbox files are synced! If I delete (or even worse, replace) a file in my Mac, the same copy on the server (and other devices which connected to the internet) will be removed (or replaced) as well. They are just synced, not really a backup of each other.

The dropbox server copy can protect you from something like HDD failure, but not human error. And time machine can cover that part. Dropbox is mainly for cloud sync, not really a backup service.

ReL1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
time-machine is the right app/software for that?
or do you recommend different one ?

thanks!!!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think this is the reason why we need a time machine backup, all dropbox files are synced! If I delete (or even worse, replace) a file in my Mac, the same copy on the server (and other devices which connected to the internet) will be removed (or replaced) as well. They are just synced, not really a backup of each other.
True but I believe Dropbox provides versions, so you can get back to prior version but I see your point and tbh, I've used TM to do that very thing.

MREDM

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Time Machine backing up

Time machine is a great tool. But you have to be careful when using with Dropbox. After initial (first ) Time machine backup, every backup was 20 -30 GB size. There was no way that I was changing that mach data every hour.
Then I realized that Dropbox is screwing up file indexing, times etc, causing Time machine to think all the time there was that much activities / changes in the files.
That forced me to investigate more in to it. I need a Dropbox and I have to have Time machine.

After realizing that Dropbox (Pro account) have it's own incremental recovery system for 30 days (that's what I want), I disabled Dropbox from my Time machine.
Guess what >> It works great !!!!
So, in order to have TM working the way it should, you should exclude Dropbox from TM.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
After initial (first ) Time machine backup, every backup was 20 -30 GB size.

That 20-30GB size may not be the "real" size. You may see that TM backup 30GB of data. However, after the backup finish, your TM HDD still have more or less the same free space. I guess that TM is not that stupid now, it knows that the file was "changed", but effectively still the same file. So it count that file in the total backup size, but not necessary has real data movement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.