PDA

View Full Version : Major Problem with 60 gig video iPod

Sideonecincy
Jan 15, 2006, 06:02 PM
I bought a 20 gig at best buy a year and half ago and a replacement plan. I took it back and had the 20 gig replaced and got a 60 gig video for $100. Since it was a replacement, they only gave me the USB cable and iPod (so I didn't get a dock), but I did watch them pull it out of the box, so it wasnt refurbished or anything in that sense. I took it home and hook it up via the USB 2 cable and the iPod keeps unmounting itself unproperly over and over again. I'll be transferring a cd onto it, and my computer will freeze then I'll get the message saying I didn't unmount the device unproperly. This is making me mad/freaking me out because I dont wanna fry the drive. Any suggestions? I'm in need

zap2
Jan 15, 2006, 06:27 PM
These five steps (known as the five Rs) will conquer most iPod issues.

* 1. Reset your iPod.
* 2. Retry with a different USB port.
* 3. Restart your computer.
* 4. Reinstall iPod and iTunes software.
* 5. Restore your iPod.
from http://www.apple.com/support/

try 1 then 2, then 5 then 3 and last 4, and if you have an extra USB cord around try it

BrianKonarsMac
Jan 15, 2006, 07:29 PM
These five steps (known as the five Rs) will conquer most iPod issues.

* 1. Reset your iPod.
* 3. Restart your computer.
* 4. Reinstall iPod and iTunes software.
* 5. Restore your iPod.
from http://www.apple.com/support/

try 1 then 2, then 5 then 3 and last 4, and if you have an extra USB cord around try it
why not:

* 1. Reset your iPod.
* 3. Restore your iPod.
* 4. Restart your computer.
* 5. Reinstall iPod and iTunes software.

then you can just do them in order, a little more logical.

but honestly i work at apple, and the last thing you'll want to try is restoring the iPod. following the order as it was originally from 1,2,3,4,5 makes more sense.

Pistol Pete
Jan 15, 2006, 07:42 PM
why not:

* 1. Reset your iPod.
* 3. Restore your iPod.

but honestly i work at apple, and the last thing you'll want to try is restoring the iPod. following the order as it was originally from 1,2,3,4,5 makes more sense.

You may work for apple and be smart on ipods, but who isnt? be smart and dont announce that you work there on here....

-Pete

Chundles
Jan 15, 2006, 07:58 PM
why not:

* 1. Reset your iPod.
* 3. Restore your iPod.

If the last thing you;d want to do is restore, why is it number 3 on a list of 5?

spencecb
Jan 15, 2006, 08:14 PM
Restoring the iPod is more logical than re-installing iTunes. It gets rid of any corruption that may be occuring on the iPod, and iTunes will not fix that. Restore it if it isn't working properly after you have tried restarting it and another USB port.

And to the OP, the only cable the iPods come with now are USB cables. They no longer are intended for FireWire, although, I believe they still work with a FireWire cable and port.

betbest1
Jan 15, 2006, 08:47 PM
Restoring the iPod is more logical than re-installing iTunes. It gets rid of any corruption that may be occuring on the iPod, and iTunes will not fix that. Restore it if it isn't working properly after you have tried restarting it and another USB port.

And to the OP, the only cable the iPods come with now are USB cables. They no longer are intended for FireWire, although, I believe they still work with a FireWire cable and port.
Nanos and 5G iPods (iPod Video) will not sync over FireWire, but older iPods will (even if they only came with a USB cable).

Boelman
Jan 15, 2006, 09:43 PM
If all this fails, take it back and switch it out again.

zap2
Jan 15, 2006, 10:46 PM
why not:

* 1. Reset your iPod.
* 3. Restore your iPod.

reinstall and App would take time and a little space on your computers ,a restore is not hurting anything becuz he does not have anything on his iPod(becuz he can't sync)

Sideonecincy
Jan 15, 2006, 10:58 PM
well I tried 3 different USB ports, 2 different USB 2 cords, restored my iPod, reinstalled iTunes, restarted my computer and formatted and it still does it (i know, formatting is a little extreme but I was going to soon anyways.) It unmounted unproperly before the reformat and also after I did all that stuff. It did it 3 times in about 7 minutes.

Do I go back to Best Buy and try to convince them that the iPod if faulty or do I go to the Apple Store and try to replace through Apple?

Chundles
Jan 15, 2006, 11:54 PM
well I tried 3 different USB ports, 2 different USB 2 cords, restored my iPod, reinstalled iTunes, restarted my computer and formatted and it still does it (i know, formatting is a little extreme but I was going to soon anyways.) It unmounted unproperly before the reformat and also after I did all that stuff. It did it 3 times in about 7 minutes.

Do I go back to Best Buy and try to convince them that the iPod if faulty or do I go to the Apple Store and try to replace through Apple?

If the Apple store is nearby I'd go there, cut out the middle man and go straight to the source of the problem. Looks like you are one of the very few unlucky people who have had rotten luck with their iPod. Go to the Apple Store and get them to sort it out for you.

Sideonecincy
Jan 16, 2006, 11:45 AM
I called apple and she said they would send me a box in 2 days and I would send it in for service and would get it back within 5-7 business days.

I'm going to see if I can take it up with best buy and see if they can get me a new one because I just bought this thing on Friday.

Sideonecincy
Jan 16, 2006, 07:54 PM
Well took a chance and went back to best buy, they wanted to test it on one of their computers till I mentioned it was mac formatted, so they just took my word for it and gave me a brand new one :D . Thanks for the help

mduser63
Jan 16, 2006, 08:41 PM
Well took a chance and went back to best buy, they wanted to test it on one of their computers till I mentioned it was mac formatted, so they just took my word for it and gave me a brand new one :D . Thanks for the help

Cool, does the new one work OK?

letterbox
Jan 16, 2006, 10:33 PM

Don't be stupid and parade the name around, it'll only get you in trouble.