PDA

View Full Version : What is the best kind of iPod?

Jannenator93
Jan 15, 2006, 08:23 PM
I got an iPod video for X-mas but it broke twice in a week so I returned it. I researched some other mp3's (like the Creative Labs) but I'm still interested in an iPod. I need to know what iPod is the best (including 4 generations) that will not break and just.....is the best. Any suggestions??:rolleyes:

barneygumble
Jan 15, 2006, 08:26 PM
I got an iPod video for X-mas but it broke twice in a week so I returned it. I researched some other mp3's (like the Creative Labs) but I'm still interested in an iPod. I need to know what iPod is the best (including 4 generations) that will not break and just.....is the best. Any suggestions??:rolleyes:

You probably got a dud, get another one almost certainly it will be fine, all the ones i have bought have been good. Better luck with the new one

G5Unit
Jan 15, 2006, 08:27 PM
MP3 player without iTunes=get it away from me! Just get the same model again and it should work.

Nermal
Jan 15, 2006, 08:29 PM
What do you mean by "broke"? Did it crash? Refuse to synch? Physically fall to pieces?

grapes911
Jan 15, 2006, 08:30 PM
If your only criteria for being the best is "not breaking', then you should really look at the shuffle. They have less movable parts then the rest. The no-LCD thing really helps too.

mad jew
Jan 15, 2006, 08:31 PM
Flash-based memory is more reliable for portable MP3 players compared with regular 1.8 inch hard drives so maybe look at a Shuffle or a nano. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 15, 2006, 08:42 PM
Get an iPod mini if you can (some stores still have them). Those are solid little buggers. As I said before, my little green 1G mini went tumbling down a concrete staircase and didn't even get a scratch, h*** it didn't even stop playing. It's now nearly two years old, in daily use (more or less) and still going strong. If you need a durable iPod, the (discountinued for now) minis are your choice. ;)

Jannenator93
Jan 15, 2006, 09:07 PM
What do you mean by "broke"? Did it crash? Refuse to synch? Physically fall to pieces?

The first one had a problem with the headphone jack and it would only play music in one headphone so we took it to the Apple store and they gave me another one (that one only lasted 2 days) the new one kept freezing and the hold button wouldn't work so we took it to the Apple store again and the genius said the harddrive was messed up (it lasted about 3 days) so they gave me another one and that one had the same problems as the second iPod so after that I just returned it. What sucks was they charged me $29.90 for opening the box:mad:

I was thinking about an iPod photo. Are they reliable??

Nermal
Jan 15, 2006, 09:09 PM
Yikes! First of all, I'm amazed that you went through three faulty iPods :eek:
They certainly shouldn't have charged you anything at all if they were faulty :(

Jannenator93
Jan 15, 2006, 09:11 PM
I know......:( I'm thinking about going back and demanding my money back......but it's about $4 of gas to drive there. Would you think the 4 generation iPods are more reliable or the 5 generations?

mduser63
Jan 15, 2006, 09:43 PM
My nearly year and a half old 4G is still going strong. Works as well now as the day I bought it. My three week old 5G 30 GB iPod is fine too; I'm listening to it as I type this. I have to say I think you just had really bad luck. My dad has a 60 GB 5G iPod and it works fine too.

Jannenator93
Jan 15, 2006, 10:01 PM
Ever had experience with a photo? I think the video iPod wouldn't be best for me because it hurts my eyes to watch a movie on a screen that small. I dunno....:confused:

tdhurst
Jan 15, 2006, 11:50 PM
Ever had experience with a photo? I think the video iPod wouldn't be best for me because it hurts my eyes to watch a movie on a screen that small. I dunno....:confused:

You know...you don't HAVE to watch the videos on the iPod screen. The ONLY reason I sold my 4G and bought 5G was to hook the iPod up to a TV with the av cable. WAY easier than plugging in my powerbook and no more DVDs to haul around...

illegalprelude
Jan 15, 2006, 11:56 PM
hhmm. that is really weird. both of my roommates and I have iPods.

I have a Mini, my roomie has 4th gen Photo and other roomie has 5th gen video and no problems what so ever. both of my roomies use it with their pc's

risc
Jan 16, 2006, 12:09 AM
I have the current iPod w/ video 60 GB + FM radio / remote the thing kicks ass, definitely the best iPod I've ever owned.

Jannenator93
Jan 16, 2006, 08:12 AM
If the iPod breaks after a year is over will you still be able to take it to the Apple store and if it really does have a problem will the genius still give you a replacement?

Applespider
Jan 16, 2006, 08:22 AM
If the iPod breaks after a year is over will you still be able to take it to the Apple store and if it really does have a problem will the genius still give you a replacement?

Not unless you buy Applecare for it. It has a year's warranty for mechanical problems.

Also surprised that two freezing iPods were both blamed on faulty HDs. I had a 4G misbehaving last year which the Genius replaced. But he pointed out that if it happened again, it was likely a problem with my iTunes installation that was causing the files on the HD to become corrupted since the odds of multiple HD failures was unlikely.

It does also depend what you plan on doing with it. If you're using it at the gym, then a Shuffle or Nano is best since they're flash based. If you have lots and lots of music, or really want to look at lots of pics or video, then a full size iPod is best.

Lopez.T.H.
Jan 16, 2006, 11:12 AM
My top 3 favorite as follow
1. 5G Video iPod - becaue I have one
2. iPod Mini - Like many have said durable
3. 3G iPod - I just liked the buttons

Epicurus
Jan 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
My top 3 favorite as follow
1. 5G Video iPod - becaue I have one
2. iPod Mini - Like many have said durable
3. 3G iPod - I just liked the buttons

I used my 3G iPod for over two years without any problems. My new 5G iPod is excellent as well. I've missed the 3G buttons, but the click wheel is a great interface as well (but you can't really beat having no moving buttons!!).

I've helped other students on campus get started with their iPod mini's and nano's in the past, with no serious hardware defects at all. Three busted 5G iPods in a row must be some sort of record.

asherman13
Jan 16, 2006, 04:24 PM
it really depends on what you're using it for. i have a 5G and a shuffle; i use my shuffle for gym, etc. or any situation where i just want music and something light in my pocket that doesn't cost much and is VERY durable. i use my 5G for everything else; it's great at school. i have all my music and movies and shows on it, so i know that if i'm ever bored somewhere, i'll be ok.

how much music do you have? where will you be taking the ipod?

Tymmz
Jan 16, 2006, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences.

But my 3G 40 GB still works with no problems, except for the battery.

I would give it another try. My favorite one is the Nano. It only holds max. 4 GB of music, but it's so damn small and beautiful.

As soon as my 3G Pod goes to heaven I get myself a Nano.

Note: No other player than the iPod because of iTunes and the interface!

Jannenator93
Jan 16, 2006, 06:01 PM
it really depends on what you're using it for. i have a 5G and a shuffle; i use my shuffle for gym, etc. or any situation where i just want music and something light in my pocket that doesn't cost much and is VERY durable. i use my 5G for everything else; it's great at school. i have all my music and movies and shows on it, so i know that if i'm ever bored somewhere, i'll be ok.

how much music do you have? where will you be taking the ipod?

Well.....I had about 2,000 songs in a week so it'll probably add on. I'll be taking my iPod everywhere (that is if I decide on getting one).